Changes for wood boilers are lurking in Indiana

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironinc that the one named "offender" last name is Furness! While I don't agree with the paint all with the same brush mentality that some areas seem to want to adopt I do believe the air quality needs to be controlled somehow esp. in neighborhoods with close houses. This responsibility needs to start with the manufacturer and also with educated consumers. Perhaps manufacturers should be required to offer some sort of wood burning course(online or with pamphlets) to a consumer before they can buy the product? It still amazes me as to how many people think they can burn just about anything!

Let me say this, and keep in mind that this is one person's viewpoint: There is a real problem out there, and the bulk of it is OWBs.

While a properly operated OWB burning well seasoned wood MIGHT be cleaner than a poorly operated woodstove, my personal observation is that anytime I see or smell obnoxious quantities of smoke there's at least a 90% chance that the offender is an OWB.

If we're afraid of misguided and heavy-handed government regulation that could limit personal freedom, we have to recognize the reality of the problem and make a good faith effort to address it in other ways. Certainly a big factor in my participation here is a desire to share what I've learned about woodburning technology so that more people know about options and techniques for providing heat in ways that are better for everyone.

I've also done what I can to spread the word to the media and to legislators.

Education is better than legislation, but if I lived next door to some of the OWBs that I've seen I'm pretty sure that I would try any and every approach to eliminate the problem. These things can and often do create an absolutely unlivable situation.

Guys you have to read the couple of comments that the readers left.
http://www.indystar.com/comments/ar...354/New-rules-would-target-wood-fired-boilers.
Actually if you really want my thoughts I think the biggest contributors to this problem altimately is the Insurance companys that forced the industry to create the OWB's
Its the same guys that use these boilers as there garbage burners that use to start there homes chimney on fire once a month just to have the fire department come over and clean it for them .
Once the fire department started chargeing all of a sudden the chimney fires all stopped .

If NO fires were allowed within-say- 500' of another residence, this would all be a non-issue. Somedays my fire is not pretty. But the fact that my nearest human neighbors are far enough away, no one cares. But if we regulate oil/gas fires with distance requirements, then we can eliminate sprawl too. :)

Let me start by saying I own an OWB. There are quite a few of them in the area which I live. Most all of them seem to be burning clean when I see them. I am sure they don't always burn clean, but they can.
I work in law enforcement and therefore can drive around for 7+ hours a day. There are numerous chimneys in the city I work in that are always smoking, and smoke a lot. Again, some burn clean most of the time, and some don't. There are two business and several houses that put out more wood smoke from non-owb chimneys than they probaby should, and do smoke up the neighborhood.
I guess my point is that OWBs are not the entire problem and should not take the blunt of "heat" from the government entities we have to deal with. My true feeling is that if the tree huggers want to clean the air, then make other forms of heat (propane, oil, gas etc.) virtually free! Until then, I will continue to burn wood to heat my home and hot water for free each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.