changes to heat shielding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minister of Fire
Apr 21, 2013
Michigan
I've been impressed with the effectiveness of the heat shielding on the sides and back of my Lopi. With the stove-top temp at 600F, you can rest your fingers right on the heat shielding on the sides. The wall in back of the stove is always cool to the touch.

It got me wondering if the shielding might be more than I need. I've got about 3x the required clearance on the sides. If I pulled the shielding off the sides, would it increase the radiant heat into the living space, or is the stove is going to radiate whatever heat it's going to radiate, regardless of the shielding? (i.e., I thought maybe if the heat couldn't dissipate through the sidewalls, more of it would end up wasted up the chimney.)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have on this.

The shielding shouldn't be removed since its part of the stove, not an add on in this case. It would void the UL listing. The shields aren't preventing heat from entering the room at all. The shields allow convection to take place rather than straight radiant heat on the walls. Better leave them alone.

Thanks. I wondered if maybe heat that couldn't be readily dissipated might be more likely to head up the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.