Changes to Regency wood stove design over the last two decades?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acidbasement

Oct 5, 2009
Western Manitoba
Hi folks, it's my first post, though I've been lurking a bit in the last couple of months. I'm in the market for a new wood stove, and I know a few people who are very happy with their Regency 2x00 models. I have the opportunity to buy an old one made in 1991, which has not been used heavily, for a very good price. Is there any reason not to buy it? It looks pretty close to the same as the newer models based on the photo in the for sale ad.

I guess the main unknowns are:

1. Are the clearances to combustibles likely to be the same as newer models?
2. Is efficiency comparable?
3. Will it have the additional venting on top of the firebox for secondary burn (is this called airwash?)? I know, I'll figure this out if I take a look at it, but it's an hour's drive away. I'm hoping to go armed with a bit more knowledge than I currently have.

Thanks!

I believe it's a 2400, but I'm not sure - the seller is the second owner and does not have the owner's manual. She say's it just says 'medium wood stove' or something to that effect on the back of the unit. I'll try to attach a photo.

2105fgh_20.jpeg

She's asking $400 Canadian, and is including some double-walled pipe.

This looks a lot like the stove in my old house. I think the model was R3/R9. I currently have the Regency I2400 insert. The fireboxes were about the same size. It was a good stove but the newer models burn a little cleaner. If the price is right it was a decent stove.

Attachments

• regency-2.jpg
    regency-2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,422
acidbasement said:
Thanks guys; I'll probably get it. Still curious about the clearances though - can anyone tell this noob where to look? :)

Just go here to their website. You can download the specs for any current model as a pdf from here. Even a little bit older models will usually fit into one of the current specs with these, they haven't changed that much. That's a really nice deal on a good stove.

http://www.regency-fire.com/Wood/Stoves/F2400/

Find out if it's an EPA stove - try to find out the model number and year, usually on a tag in back of the stove, and call Regency (In the US 604-946-5155). ask them if it's a different design from their current models and if it's an EPA stove. If it's an EPA stove, or you see secondary burn tubes (pipes with holes inside near the top of the firebox) I'd grab that stove if there are no noticeable problems.

I have a Regency I bought second hand and I love every burning minute of it. Saved a bundle.

i picked up a second hand I3100 insert over the summer. its keeping me nice and warm right now as i type this. my insert is 9 years old, wasnt used much by previous owner. I stole it for $600. If there arent any issues with the stove you're looking at and if the price is right, i'd say go for it.

I just took another look at the photo. If you definitely want a wood stove, and you don't want to shell out $1000 or more for a new one, I'd lock that deal up ASAP. Someone's going to grab it.

acidbasement said:
Thanks for all the input - I just called the seller and the stove is mine! Pending pickup, that is. :)

Congrats. let us know how you like it. im sure it will do just fine for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.