changing angle of thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

91LMS

Oct 20, 2011
MAINE
i am getting ready to build a chase around my interior chimney so that i can wrap it in stone. the chimney is in a corner and would like to angle the thimble where it will come throgh the stone in order to get a straighter approach for the stove pipe off the hearth. kind of a screwy set-up, any suggestions?

Attachments

• DSCF1846.JPG
    DSCF1846.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 149
I think the questions most people will have are:

1. Why on earth did you build a masonry chimney?
2. Why on earth did you build it with what appears to be an 8x12 flue?

no suggestions?

I myself have my stove vented in to an 8x12 flue and the only reason I haven't destroyed it and replaced it with a 6" stainless is because I don't plan on being in this house long term.

Most of, if not all, wood stoves suggest venting in to a flue that is the same cross sectional area as the outlet of the stove and not more than 2x the cross sectional area. And the vast majority of stoves have a 6" outlet. An 8x12 flue has 3.4 times the cross sectional area.

If the chimney is still at the stage of construction shown in the pic, I'd suggest you to stop and reconsider the design. You'll be much happier with the operation of the stove if you size the flue according to the stove you plan to use. 8x12 is way too big for any modern stove. Perhaps the block chimney with a stainless liner, or a 6" round clay tile?

That all said, if you're going to stay with what you have, have you picked out a stove? That will affect what you need to do to adapt it to your chimney, depending on where the outlet is (top/rear).

Status
Not open for further replies.