changing glass on castine 400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michael 6cords

Dec 10, 2014
morris county new jersey
hello all this is my first post as i am a avid woodburner. i gather and process 5 /6 cords every year .. we own a jotul castine 400 and we love it... i need to change the glass as i cracked it lower rightside small crack not pulling air through but i want to replace ..found a dealer she quoted 171.00 plus tax .. has anyone replaced this glass and was wondering how did it go, any surprises..thanks for any input

Welcome. I never changed the glass on our Castine but did have to seat the glass gasket more correctly in a couple areas. Tighten up the clamps gingerly. You want just enough tension for a snug fit.

I would think it could be done either way, but removing the door and laying flat might provide greater control over the situation.

I would remove the door for sure. It just lifts off, just don't lose the little washer that's on the top of the lower hinge.

Not sure if you ordered it yet or not . . . but I know some folks here have ordered through Onedayglass.com and were pretty happy with the price and prompt delivery.

thank you for the replys everyone on the glass replacement tips it will all help for sure .. i did pick up the glass saturday so i have it but im in no hurry to replace it yet as my stove is chuggin 24/7 right now and the crack seems stable ... if it needs to be done atleast i have the new glass now ...

Status
Not open for further replies.