Changing ignitor in PB105

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewChurchill

Minister of Fire
Mar 31, 2008
Vermont
Has anyone changed the ignitor on a Harman PB105 boiler? If so would you tell me how to do it?

Thanks,
Andy

Andrew, I am guessing by your last post you had an igniter issue. What did your dealer say about it ? I burned out 4 in my first heating season with my PB 105. I think it's a design flaw by letting all the flyash fill the igniter chamber. How did you make out changing it ? I can do it now with my eyes closed. Interesting point about the feed rate for DHW I think I might try that.

I was able to figure out how to change it on my own. However, it turns out the ignitor wasn't bad. The flap for the air intake port was jammed shut so the boiler wasn't getting enough O2 for ignition. Once the flap was unjammed the boiler would fire up everytime.

So far I haven't lost an ignitor.

It's been very consistent about using 1/4 bag a day to heat my DHW in the AM. I'm looking forward to the winter to see how many bags of pellets I use per day. I'm hoping I can get by with 6 tons, but I have 8 ton on hand.

So is the coil on your 105 your only source for DHW ? I pre heat mine into a Stainless electric heater so I don't have to use the boiler in the summer. Do you figure you save money doing this ?

I have an indirect hot water heater as well and it's on a timer to only call for heat once a day and yes I save about 50% over using my oil boiler to heat my DHW. I know this because I timed the amount of time the boiler was on during the time the hot water tank was calling for water. It ran on average 30 minutes. Since my the boiler nozzle uses 1 gallon per hour I used on average 1/2 of oil at $4.97 a gallon.

So it costs me $2.50 P/Day on oil and since I only use 1/4 bag off pellets to heat my hot water it only costs me $1.25 P/Day with pellets.

Are you able to light your 105 in auto mode and then just switch it over to manual, or do you also light the fire manually and then just let it run ? Can't remember what the user guide suggested.

So far I have left it in the auto mode. I'm interested to see how well the automode will work in the winter. Right now it's consistently taking 8 minutes to light.

Status
Not open for further replies.