Changing out stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

breckenridge

Oct 16, 2009
colorado mountains
Hey all,
first post. I have been heating my 1400 sq ft house with a franklin 308 built in 1979 (been told its a VC defiant knockoff) as my primary source of heat.
I live at 10,000 ft elevation ,where it takes 20 minutes to get water to boil.
I am planning on upgrading to a hearthstone Shellburne.
The existing stove has 15ft of single wall 8 inch pipe into 10 ft of double wall chimney pipe through the attic and out the roof.
My plan is to install 6 inch single wall pipe from the stove, into a 6 inch to 8 inch adapter at the bottom of the double wall 8 inch chimney pipe.
My question is this… the old pipe had a damper installed 2 ft above the top of the old stove. should I install a new one, and if so, is it only to keep the cold outside air from traveling indoors when not in use ( rarely in winter) or is it useful in operation of a new efficient stove? I used the old damper in the full open position and adjusted air intake through the stove only, and closed it when the stove had cooled down.
Also, I have never seen a barometric draft control in use on a wood stove. Is it something I should consider?Given my high altitude and low night temps, efficiency is important here.
any other advice is welcome

thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum breckenridge.

You surely have been heating with an oldie. There used to be lots of them around but they are really wood eaters for sure.

It is not recommended to go from 6" to 8" pipe so you might have some problems there. You might want to rethink that one.

There should be no need for a damper in the flue nor for a barometric damper. You will find with the newer stoves that unless you have a 25' or higher chimney flue there is no need for a damper; the controls on the stove will do well.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.