changing over from gas to wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Hearth Supporter
Nov 14, 2010
mid tenn
I have a gas fireplace and I am going with a wood stove, I was wanting to use the existing fireplace but it is only a fake box on the outside, I was wondering if it would be safe to put the imperial board on the bottom, top, and the sides and put the double wall stainless pipe up the flu. I can get good clearance up the flu, but wonder about the firebox if the board would keep enough heat off of the 2x4 stud to be safe

Your the 2nd person on here in a day asking about gas to wood conversion. They all must think its a loaded question. And to some extent it is. To many variables and liability even with the best answers. My advise it to invite a professional to your house to examine first hand what you have and discuss the options from there.

dsnyder said:
I have a gas fireplace and I am going with a wood stove, I was wanting to use the existing fireplace but it is only a fake box on the outside, I was wondering if it would be safe to put the imperial board on the bottom, top, and the sides and put the double wall stainless pipe up the flu. I can get good clearance up the flu, but wonder about the firebox if the board would keep enough heat off of the 2x4 stud to be safe

fake box on the outside? So you have a zero clearance fireplace with an external chimney chase? If so does the chase hand off the side of the house?

Doesn't sound safe to me. Your messing with fire, don't take any chances with your life or your family. It would be best to rip the whole thing out and redo it to meet code for wood burning.

Agreed. A wood fire is going to be much hotter and less controllable than a gas fire. You need a higher level of protection and flue piping to handle these temps. The best thing to do would be to tear out the old before bringing in the new. They are completely different animals with different requirements for clearances and temperature.

the box is on the side with a porch and it is framed up to the ceiling and there is a box above the ceiling on the roof to look like there is a fireplace there, it was just for looks

If I put 2 layers of durarock with a air space and then the imperial board do you think that this would be safe, I have someone coming to look at this setup that installs chimneys but I would like some more imput, can never get enough info, thanks

There are some zero clearance units that are perfectly safe for wood burning. I have a Heatilator in my great room. However it was installed with clearance and has a double wall chimney pipe. I know there are alot of zero clearance wood burning units on the market but I think the actual install is where the safety factor is.

Pictures would really help.

I'm thinking you're going to need a Class A chimney system.

I have had a person who builds chimneys for a living and he told me that I would be safe installing 2 layers of durarock and puting the stove board on top, with a double wall stainless steel stove pipe, I have it installed and hopely tonight I will start the tempering of the stove, will try to put pics on later

Status
Not open for further replies.