Changing the glass on Castine question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kobudo

Sep 10, 2008
MN
The glass on my 9 month old Castine cracked in two places during out last fire.
The vacation house is new construction so I thought the builder would take care of the problem but it looks like I need to do the install. I'll pick up the glass and bring it on our next trip but since we aren't there can anyone tell me what tools I will need and is this a complicated task? I thought I remembered a couple of clips on the top of the glass. Can it be as easy as loosening those, taking the old glass out and replacing it?

pretty much is - losen clips, remove cracked glass,check gasket condition, replace with new glass. Make sure you don't over tighten the clips.

More importantly, why did your glass crack? And why would the builder take care of it? Shouldn't happen (without some kind of impact) to a 9 year old stove never mind a 9 month old stove.

I think the glass must have been defective. It is possible the builder could do it but the place is 6+ hours away and he isn't very close either so if it is easy I just want to get it done on my next trip. The Jotul retailer is pushing back on replacing the glass.
We have used the stove for 6-7 months and hadn't had a problem. Last trip we put in some newspaper, kindling and a couple of small splits. While unloading groceries we hear a crack. Go figure.

Man that stinks. Stove shops seem to be heading the same direction as everything else these days, customer service is a thing of the past (with some exceptions of course). My stove shop was the same way with a small issue I had. Great service (of course) while I was in the process of spending thousands on my Jotul F600 Firelight. Got it home, 2 break in fires and noticed the gasket adhesive was defective, gaskets literally fell off the stove when i opened the door. Told the guy who sold me the stove I would replace them myself but felt he should send the gaskets and cement for free, he wouldn't do it. Conversation ended with me telling him I'd get new gaskets myself from another supplier, I'd run the F600 in my basement as planned, and next year when I spend thousands on a soapstone stove for my dining room it will be with another dealer or I'll hunt down a used one. I'm the type of customer that if he had done right by me I would have gone back there cash in hand for future purchases and not even price shopped at other stores. This over less than $10.00 in gaskets and cement after I spent over a couple grand on a brand new stove from not just the same shop, but the same salesman.

Why do these shops find it necessary to push back on small dollar items like glass and gaskets? For the few dollars they would spend on replacing legit defective parts for customers (whom they have already made money on in a stove sale), they'd have loyal customers for life. On top of that, you can't tell me they couldn't send defective parts like your glass back to the manufacturer and get reimburssed for their replacement expenses.

Sorry for the rant, replacing the glass shouldn't be very difficult. If you overtighten the clamps you may see it crack again at the clamp sites so tighten just enough to ensure good contact with the gasket material.

Thanks. I'm hoping I don't incur any cost for the glass.
If I do I will be certaint to take it up the Jotul. I'm sure they have district/region offices etc. Probably would just be a matter of contacting the right individual.

typically with a stove that is less than 1 year old the glass can be submitted to the manufacture for warranty. Every manufacture is different, but it doesn't cost your dealer anything to submit the claim, if the manufacture refuses to honor the claim that may be different. I highly recommend taking the door off the stove to replace the glass, be careful w/ Jotul because there are sometimes small washers on the pins to ensure proper allignment of the door. Make sure they go back on the right pin. Lay the door on a flat surface, put the new piece of glass in place and press down in the center with your hand. While pressing down, tighten the various clips, if you use the clips to pull the glass tight and don't get them even, you may stress crack the glass after a couple of firings.

Status
Not open for further replies.