Channeling hot air from downstairs to upstairs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

area_man

Burning Hunk
Feb 12, 2013
Oregon City, OR
My stove is in the basement, and the upstairs bedrooms are all on one side of the house. There is a point at which I could put a board across the top of a hallway to trap warm air on the bedroom side of the upstairs. I could easily put a 16" board across one doorway that would trap the highest part of the upstairs air in the bedroom side. There is a bathroom with a ceiling fan in this area, so I could install a second air trap outside of the bathroom door to prevent the evacuation of warm air to the outdoors.

The top of the bedroom doors in this part of the house are about 6" below the ceiling. I could cut a circular opening at any one of several points in the top of the wall to allow the flow of warm air into the bedrooms and maybe the office.

From there, I could place a temperature probe at the port to signal a Z-wave controller to start a fan that would blow cold air from the outside corner of the rooms up to the ceiling to mix cold air with the heat trickling up from the basement.

I think that allowing convection to move the warm air up to the highest point and then mixing the coldest air with the warmest air would give the best outcome.

I could always add another port two feet down on the door to blow warm air into the bedrooms so I don't lose warm air to the cold living room/kitchen area that doesn't really need to be heated at night.

Post some sketches please and a drawing of the floor plan indicating current stove location and how the heat currently gets upstairs from the basement (stairway?).

Status
Not open for further replies.