Chaps and Rattlesnakes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich L

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
Eastern,Ma.
g-mail.com
There's some city downed Locust in a field there for the taking.One of the neighbors next to the lot said there are more snakes around than he's ever seen and some may be rattlers.I want that wood and was wondering if chaps will repel a rattlesnake's bite?You know keep it from penetrating.

I'd rather not be the one to find out...

I'd bet "not". Chainsaw chaps are layers of fiber meant to bind-up a chainsaw chain when it makes contact. I'm not sure they are going to be overly protective against a piercing type action? I really have no idea...but as stated above, I'd rather not find out....

They would certainly help, but I'd be sure to wear pants under them just to make sure one doesn't spring up and bite you in the ass. The heavier the denim and workboots the better. Kinda sucks because it's been so hot out lately.

The only way to avoid them is to either cut when it's cold and they aren't into moving or in winter when they just aren't around.

Make sure you have heavy gloves and a jacket on too. Your hands and arms will be right down next to them. Maybe this job could be put of until early mornings in September?

Matt

I would think that it would not work! those fangs are like needles, But sure would rather have them on than not!

I'm thinking they would scatter as soon as they felt the vibration of the chains saw. Just look around...true that they will bite but only if threatened. It's not like they'll hunt you down out of spite.

One of the workers here on another crew got tagged by a rattler last week..No kidding it went threw chaps and work boots..Needless to say he got a trip to the hospital...

Now on Wed my crew walked up on the biggest copperhead I have ever seen it was every bit of 3 foot long..That was until the 440 got a hold of it....

southbound said:
One of the workers here on another crew got tagged by a rattler last week..No kidding it went threw chaps and work boots..Needless to say he got a trip to the hospital...

Now on Wed my crew walked up on the biggest copperhead I have ever seen it was every bit of 3 foot long..That was until the 440 got a hold of it....

I figured they would go right through, I Hate Snakes!

Oldmainer said:
Hi Rich L....never heard of rattle snakes in eastern Mass. Franklin
Sure there are. Timber rattlers are all throughout much of New England and southern New York (except in Maine). And they ain't gonna be stopped one bit by ballistic nylon or Kevlar cloth.

Let me know how that works out for you. I am with Smokin'. I hate snakes, even those simple Gardner snakes make me do a 180 pronto. The three things that scare me are snakes, fat chicks, and running out of beer.

KC

You can get snake proof chaps and "gaiters" that cover up to your knees.

Personally I would rather wait till cooler weather but If I had to get into it right now I would wear "protection" LOL

Oldmainer said:
Hi Rich L....never heard of rattle snakes in eastern Mass. Franklin
Yes I heard that there are plenty timber rattlers in the Blue Hills of Boston and now they seem to be coming into the neighborhoods.I mean we have every other kind of animal in the residential areas that we never had before and now we even have sharks off the beaches.It never use to be this way.Something is up I just don't no what it is.

ANeat said:

Personally I would rather wait till cooler weather but If I had to get into it right now I would wear "protection" LOL

I never heard of snake proof Chaps.Where can I get them?Thanks for the info.

Yup...we have them in New York too. Never saw one here but they have closed down construction sites around here when the come across them. Because the are so rare for our area...they look out for their well being. Also in the Minnewaska Mountain Area. I have seen a huge Copperhead on my road though...and very aggressive he was!
He still lives though!

Rich L said:
ANeat said:

Here is one place that has a wide selection

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/drilldown_pages/view_category.asp?cat=903

Snakes will go where the food is, they eat rodents and such so something like a brush pile or wood pile that is a good home for little furry critters will attract snakes

ANeat said:
Rich L said:
ANeat said:

Here is one place that has a wide selection

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/drilldown_pages/view_category.asp?cat=903

Snakes will go where the food is, they eat rodents and such so something like a brush pile or wood pile that is a good home for little furry critters will attract snakes
Thanks ANeat for the info.It's very valuable.I'm deciding which pair to get asap.

ya man , A rattle will bit thru chaps boots and any thing else you would be wearing in the summer.
The snake proof chaps wont stop a large rattle
r .
Keep the chaps louse so the snake cant hit you with full force .
When i was a kid we would hunt rattlers for a old indian that made belts , hat bands and sold venom .
10 bucks a snake all day long , it was big money in the 70s when i was a boy .
We would shoot the snakes with a daisy red rider BB gun and stun them , then throw them in a bag .
The snake would be stunned . They had to be alive to be milked.
I think you will be all right if you make alot of noise . Cut the logs and move them at the same time. They will try to bite your face if you are rolling a log .
use a jack pole to move the timber.
Most of the time if you don't step on them they wont bite.
They are endangered now so it is illegal to kill them , but if one dies from a heart attack or stroke there wood be no harm in running some snake chips thru batter and frying them like chicken.
PS the dam snakes don't always make the rattle noise.
You can just move the snake with a long stick pushing them out of the work area . John

Ive heard thru the process of natural selection that the ones that "rattle" when alarmed are getting fewer (they were the ones getting killed) while the quiet ones are surviving and multiplying

wellbuilt home said:
ya man , A rattle will bit thru chaps boots and any thing else you would be wearing in the summer.
The snake proof chaps wont stop a large rattle
r .
Keep the chaps louse so the snake cant hit you with full force .
When i was a kid we would hunt rattlers for a old indian that made belts , hat bands and sold venom .
10 bucks a snake all day long , it was big money in the 70s when i was a boy .
We would shoot the snakes with a daisy red rider BB gun and stun them , then throw them in a bag .
The snake would be stunned . They had to be alive to be milked.
I think you will be all right if you make alot of noise . Cut the logs and move them at the same time. They will try to bite your face if you are rolling a log .
use a jack pole to move the timber.
Most of the time if you don't step on them they wont bite.
They are endangered now so it is illegal to kill them , but if one dies from a heart attack or stroke there wood be no harm in running some snake chips thru batter and frying them like chicken.
PS the dam snakes don't always make the rattle noise.
You can just move the snake with a long stick pushing them out of the work area . John
Hey John where did you grow up as a boy? Man thanks for that valuable information.I"m going to do everything you shared.Thanks again.

wellbuilt home said:

I think I would rather use the running chain on the end of my saw to move them. I'll give up a sharp chain for that. Friggin' no shoulder bastages. :vampire:

After the first site of a rattle snake I dont care where he flys as long as he cant fly!

timmyd said:
I'm thinking a running chain is going to throw it back at you.

At 11000 RPM it should be a clean cut. Like a light saber through Lukes arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.