Chaps got Bar and Chain Oil on them

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
My saw leaked a bunch of Bar oil on my chaps. Is there anything to worry about? I mean, are there additives in the B&C oil that could lead to degradation of the fibers in them? Just want to be safe.

How do you all clean your chaps (if at all)?

Man, I hope you don't have to keep them clean. I just got mine this summer and already they look like crap. I'm real rough on clothes. I thought the Kevlar in them would last forever and protect my jeans to boot.

Danno77 said:
My saw leaked a bunch of Bar oil on my chaps. Is there anything to worry about? I mean, are there additives in the B&C oil that could lead to degradation of the fibers in them? Just want to be safe.

Now they're broke in :snake:

In your pics you were cutting nude....er, no chaps. What gives ?

Oil and fuel will congeal into the Kevlar strands that are supposed to stop the chain from kissing your flesh. The strands then will not be able to clog the chain into the sprocket and clutch.
Drips and the odd spill do no harm. But after awhile too much oil and fuel will bind the strands together.
Anecdote: when I took the professional training program for loggers, all of us had chaps of various ages. The instructor took one pair that may have been orange at one time, but now was dark brown/black ( " I've used these without a problem for 2 years" the guy said). He placed the chaps over a log and sawed right through them ( Husky 372XP if you're curious). Next session we all got new chaps.
When chaps get soaked, they can't be cleaned to specs. Cheap insurance: however, many here consider ANY safety tool silly. e.g.chain brakes, full helmet system, steel toed boots, gloves, training.

Just My Not So Humble Opinion ;-P

fjord said:
Oh, I had the chaps on in that picture with the PPE. They are dark blue, so they blend in with the bibs I was wearing. There WERE on though...

Hopefully you can wash it out. I am amazed at how clean mine come out of the washer. Regular cleaning, I was told when I purchased mine, is was keeps the fibers ready to stop the saw.

I have chaps from Labonville, Elvex, and some others. Depending on the material, the cleaning instructions may be different. Check the manufacturer's website.

Last two times I was at the Husky dealer saw they are selling bar chain oil made from pressed sunflower seeds. I recall it costing about $32 per gallon.

Danno77 said:

Nope

xclimber said:
Danno77 said:

+1 lol

smokinjay said:
xclimber said:
Danno77 said:

+1 lol

That's what I was thinking.

Since I just got mine from Labonville, and since they make their own chaps, I decided to call them.

While they couldn't vouch for other brands of chaps, I was told that the Labonville chaps need no cleaning ever unless you don't like the way the look when dirty.

I'm calling my dirt "patina" and leaving them as they are.

fjord said:

Oil and fuel will congeal into the Kevlar strands that are supposed to stop the chain from kissing your flesh. The strands then will not be able to clog the chain into the sprocket and clutch.
Drips and the odd spill do no harm. But after awhile too much oil and fuel will bind the strands together.
Anecdote: when I took the professional training program for loggers, all of us had chaps of various ages. The instructor took one pair that may have been orange at one time, but now was dark brown/black ( " I've used these without a problem for 2 years" the guy said). He placed the chaps over a log and sawed right through them ( Husky 372XP if you're curious). .....

Did he try the same thing with clean chaps? And, did they stop the saw? Maybe you can saw through any chaps if you do it that way.

Phil

Phil_Marino said:
fjord said:

Anecdote: when I took the professional training program for loggers, all of us had chaps of various ages. The instructor took one pair that may have been orange at one time, but now was dark brown/black ( " I've used these without a problem for 2 years" the guy said). He placed the chaps over a log and sawed right through them ( Husky 372XP if you're curious). .....

Did he try the same thing with clean chaps? And, did they stop the saw? Maybe you can saw through any chaps if you do it that way.
Phil

Yes. Good question Phil. Husky gave him a new pair to destroy and test as demo. IT's the many single long strands of Kevlar that are pulled into the sprocket by the chain within a second to stop the sprocket and chain.
The chaps were secured around a log ( ~ thigh DBH, bark=flesh ). Saw was stopped, but a rat's nest to clean up the Kevlar.

fjord said:
Husky gave him a new pair to destroy and test as demo.... The chaps were secured around a log.... Saw was stopped, but a rat's nest to clean up the Kevlar.

I think I saw a video where Labonville tested their completion chaps that way against a few other brands and they stopped the saw fine. Of course, major cleanup and a new pair of chaps are in order after that happens.

Here's another thing to consider. I know that both Kevlar and nylon are quite susceptible to UV damage form sunlight. I've seen skin-coat (no protective gel coat) Kevlar race canoes go to total shite in ten years, the once "unbreakable" hull now something you could almost poke a stick through. I've got a skin-coat Kevlar canoe that already looks like it has substantial sun damage and it's only about 4 years old.

Is it possible that those old chaps just got too much sunlight and it had nothing at all to do with them being soiled? In many of the videos I've seen of top loggers, they sometimes have chaps so worn they look light salmon color instead of orange. That's sun that does that. I wonder how deep in goes into the fabric?

Status
Not open for further replies.