Chaps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigg_Redd

Minister of Fire
Oct 19, 2008
Shelton, WA
I've never used them. I don't know anyone who uses them. But my dad found us an ongoing score at a large mill (all their reject logs and ends) and they require chaps.

Are some better than others?

Any to avoid at all cost?

There all good and 6 plys are plunty. 9 plys will burn you up. Nice to have the bright orange if there is more than one person working. I have seen a361 get lyed across a 6 ply it only scratch the kevlar fricken awesome!

Cheap insurance.

I got mine from Bailey's. Buy a size longer than you think, for some reason they are built short.

I've noticed they (Stihl) tend to shift to the outside to expose the inside of leg.
I'm thinking about putting some more velcro wrap on the bottom.

velvetfoot said:
I've noticed they (Stihl) tend to shift to the outside to expose the inside of leg.
I'm thinking about putting some more velcro wrap on the bottom.

Full wrap may fit you better...

I haven't had any complaints with the blue husqvarna chaps I got at the farm store. Cheaper than the Stihl ones, but not as cool looking as a bright orange pair. Probably stay looking nicer because of the dark color, too. Just wish they matched my saw...

I'm 6'2" and the length is fine, but wouldn't want them to be any shorter. If you are thick in the middle I can see them being a problem without extensions of some sort, too.

I definitely like my Labonville's better than the other ones I have owned. Plus, they are 20% off this month.

I have the 10-ply Labonville competition chaps. They are heavy and bulky, but probably not that much hotter than the 6-ply ones in actual field use. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the 6-ply. In fact, I might get a lighter pair anyway. The 10-ply are way overkill for regular use IMHO. And.... they're heavy and bulky.

I called Labonville the other day and spoke about the subject with them. The call was prompted by a Google search that yielded a hit for an AS thread (http://www.arboristsite.com/labonville-inc/62383.htm) from a few years ago. Some guy wanted to know which ones to get (6-ply or 10-ply) and Labonville recommended the competition chaps for him considering the saw he had. Turns out he only had a 5100 (50cc saw). If the 10-ply were needed for a 50cc saw, then what would you use for a 90cc saw? Or more to the point, what saw would the 6-ply chaps be appropriate for? Anything? Drea from Labonville (sponsored forum) neatly dodged the question later on in the thread. Forum consensus was that they like to recommend their most expensive chap... even for a small saw.

So, anyway, the guy I spoke to (didn't get the name) said that the 10-ply are recommended for hot saws because the saws get, well... hot. At least the bars do. Gives extra insurance during the "heat" of competition. Basically, for most purposes, 4-ply ain't enough but 6-ply will stop just about anything... as long as you get the Labonville ones. ;-)

I might still go with the full-wrap for reasons mentioned above. Besides protecting the Achilles tendon area, they will stay on the front of your leg better if you get hit by a running saw. The chain will practically pull them off your leg while it is jamming up with Kevlar thread, and may not stop in time before the leg gets exposed. Chaps should be adjusted to be snug enough to not move easily if you get hit, but loose enough to not bind or inhibit quick movement. Nothing would be more tragic than protecting the leg but getting whopped on the noggin with the whole tree because you couldn't get out of the way in time.

As for length, it's not an inseam measurement, it's the entire chap length. I have embarrassingly short legs and the shortest ones fit fine, so I think you guys with normal size legs need to measure from the belt line to where you want them to hang and get that length. You don't want them too long if you get the full-wraps, though, or they will surely bunch up at the knees once you strap them to your ankles.

As far as a 60cc pro saw barely touching the Kevlar? Watch this video from Labonville.

http://www.labonville.com/videos/v2.htm

Another good video I've seen from Madsen's website has them cutting through a ham and then a chap-covered ham. Watch it if you think you want to go without them.

Bottom line? Get the good Labonville 6-ply and be done with it. Bailey's has them on sale right now for under $60.

wendell said:
I definitely like my Labonville's better than the other ones I have owned. Plus, they are 20% off this month.

Interesting. The guy I spoke to yesterday quoted me the regular price. Just went to their site and found out you are correct. Looks like a new 6-ply pair (in green) will be headed my way. ;-)

I love my Husky blue ones--$39 at Lowes?--they don't wrap too far around my leg and are fairly lightweight and cool, which means I actually wear them every time. They also keep me and my boots clean of wood chips. Bonus!

S

I have a pair of Forester chaps. Feel like they are well made, have absolutely no interest in finding out how well they actually work. Don't wear them when it's hot, but I should....

smokinjay said:
I have seen a361 get lyed across a 6 ply it only scratch the kevlar fricken awesome!
Mine stopped my 390 dead in its tracks.

I have the labonvilles and have no complaints. Lots of guys seem to like 'em. Luckily, I have never "tested" mine.

The recommendations of you folks, and a recent occurrence where my saw tore a chunk out of some new jeans at upper thigh, are enough for me. (The only cut received was almost invisible- lots of luck used up right there.)
Finally ordered a pair- green full-wrap.

Picked my blue probably lightweight Husky chaps up at Lowes a few years ago. All I want is a chance to swing the saw the other way. And yes I have been to the emergency room one time when I didn't have'em.

Small snag fell on the bar with my leg under it. Five horse saws can mess ya leg up real quick. At least 26 stitches outside and ten inside worth.

velvetfoot said:
Do any of the chaps stop an electric chainsaw?

Ain't gonna happen. Best they can do is give you a second to toss it.

Danno77 said:
I haven't had any complaints with the blue husqvarna chaps I got at the farm store. Cheaper than the Stihl ones, but not as cool looking as a bright orange pair. Probably stay looking nicer because of the dark color, too. Just wish they matched my saw...

I'm 6'2" and the length is fine, but wouldn't want them to be any shorter. If you are thick in the middle I can see them being a problem without extensions of some sort, too.

Wish I had the "Blue" ones.. I got the Heavy Duty Orange ones.. I'm only 5' 4"... Too Long.. Too Heavy.... Never seen a "Sizing" label on the box.. Oh well. I have them, hope they work, when they need too....

We use either the Stihls or the Huskies (depending on winning contract) at work. Either/Both 'll stop a Homelite 760.
As far as an electric - there's nothing on the market, that I know of, that'll stop one. Slow it down - Yes; Stop - NO.

I personally have a set of Huskies; she has a set of Stihls (@ 5' nothin' they're are a better fit) Both where bought at a local shop - atleast they'll let you try them on and see what is better fitting.

Stay away from the leather ones, unless you are going out on the town.

velvetfoot said:
Do any of the chaps stop an electric chainsaw?

No

I have a pair of the cheap green ones from Baileys (workpro?) (EDIT: they're Woodland Pro). They are OK, kinda thick & hot. If I did it again I'd get the regular full-wrap Labonvilles for the extra protection and also because I've had the calf straps snag on brush when walking & nearly trip me. Figure full wraps are less likely to snag.

Status
Not open for further replies.