Chaps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TreePointer said:
JotulOslo said:
Labonville has a 20% off sale going on that ends tomorrow. Just bought a pair of full wrap chaps to replace my Husquvarna's

Good deal!

I've tried a half dozen different chap models and I prefer those Labonville Full-Wraps.

If anyone near me (Milwaukee, WI area) is interested, I've got a Labonville full-wrap size L that's for sale. We bought them for our son thinking he was going to help his Mom with the wood and that didn't pan out. Never worn except to try them on in the house. Perfect Christmas gift. I will be putting them up for sale on Craig's list later this week.

My understanding was he switched hands and the bar angled in behind him with enough chain speed to cut him. My gash was from changing hands while cutting and chucking little jack firs.

ms440 said:
My understanding was he switched hands and the bar angled in behind him with enough chain speed to cut him. My gash was from changing hands while cutting and chucking little jack firs.

Bad habits.....Its still hard for me to figure it out. Monster saw and the dawgs set in hard you could get by with that, but dont know why you would.

So the answer is good habits and don't make ever make a mistake?

I got my first pair today; Stihl brand, not full wrap, but the design is good so that it wraps around both sides of the calf. I think what Smokinjay is saying is that when you are using something like a chainsaw that you can't afford to develop bad habits. Talking on the cell phone and driving is a bad habit; if you do it, you risk getting into an accident. My hope is that people don't take more chances or develop these bad habits just because they have this added level of protection. We see this in the fire service; better gear allows us to go into fire longer, but that isn't necessarily the best thing to do - it's also a bad habit that could cost a life.

Just got the new Baileys Xmas catalog yesterday,,,some good deals on Chaps...and other things.....

Thanks for the info on Labonville. Perfect Christmas gift! I passed on word to the better half....full wraps on the way. Ruined another set of jeans the other day & thought I'd wise up before running out of luck.

gasavage said:
Thanks for the info on Labonville. Perfect Christmas gift! I passed on word to the better half....full wraps on the way. Ruined another set of jeans the other day & thought I'd wise up before running out of luck.

You already may have seen the warnings, but make sure whoever orders them uses the measuring instructions on the Labonville chaps webpage. CHAP LENGTH IS NOT THE SAME MEASUREMENT AS YOUR PANTS SIZE.

TreePointer said:
gasavage said:

You already may have seen the warnings, but make sure whoever orders them uses the measuring instructions on the Labonville chaps webpage. CHAP LENGTH IS NOT THE SAME MEASUREMENT AS YOUR PANTS SIZE.

Yep I did! I did some research on Arboristsite.com before the purchase, so I was familiar with the details. Thanks.

I've had Labonville chaps for two years and have been very pleased with them. Well made and good protection. That 20% off sale makes it hard not to buy them.

smokinjay said:
6 ply will stop a saw dead in it tracks.

Just like Harland & Wolff never declared Olympic, Titanic & Brittanic unsinkable, mfgs of chainsaw chaps will never make such a claim. Rather, they will claim to improve your chances. Nothing is idiot-proof, especially against an idiot holding a chainsaw.

CTYank said:
smokinjay said:

Just like Harland & Wolff never declared Olympic, Titanic & Brittanic unsinkable, mfgs of chainsaw chaps will never make such a claim. Rather, they will claim to improve your chances. Nothing is idiot-proof, especially against an idiot holding a chainsaw.

Been there, Seen it with my own two eyes. Didn't even take one layer to stop it almost instant! (But what the heck do I know) :cheese: 2 different times and both 361's. I was not the operator. I have a scare from my young days on my knee from a 039 with out chaps. I trust that they work and work very well....Hope you never have to clean your saw after a hit but you will know why they work so well at that point!

smokinjay said:
CTYank said:
smokinjay said:

Been there, Seen it with my own two eyes. Didn't even take one layer to stop it almost instant! (But what the heck do I know) :cheese: 2 different times and both 361's. I was not the operator. I have a scare from my young days on my knee from a 039 with out chaps. I trust that they work and work very well....Hope you never have to clean your saw after a hit but you will know why they work so well at that point!

Cleaning your saw is the least of your worries at that point.
I have a pair of chaps on my christmas list also.

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
CTYank said:
smokinjay said:

No really its the only worries if you where wearing them....lol Its a bit in the butt. I think you where there when Aaron hit his chaps?

smokinjay said:
mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
CTYank said:
smokinjay said:

No really its the only worries if you where wearing them....lol Its a bit in the butt. I think you where there when Aaron hit his chaps?

yes sir I was. I didn't really know how they worked until I saw it.

Check YouTube...there are several good videos of chainsaws meeting chaps (they put the chaps on hams, for testing).

mecreature said:

We were always told by Stihl that after a hit, the chain is garbage. You can unwind the clutch drum/sprockets but you'll never get all the fibers out of the chain and the bar sprocket. And they told us that after 1 hit, replace the chaps too.

Is it true that North of the border it is required by law to wear chaps when operating a chain saw? I attended a log cabin building school (Pat Wolfe's) outside Ottawa and everyone was required to wear chaps while working....

MasterMech said:
mecreature said:

We were always told by Stihl that after a hit, the chain is garbage. You can unwind the clutch drum/sprockets but you'll never get all the fibers out of the chain and the bar sprocket. And they told us that after 1 hit, replace the chaps too.

It was nasty but there was no need to replace the chain or sprocket. I could see if you went through all 6 layers but cant see how that's possible though.

Taking a look at getting a pair. Anyone ever use the Elvex line?

was out with the Wife looking at splitters....told her I should probably get Chaps being I'm getting deep into scrounging and cuttin'....her response "No, becareful" :roll:

They make new saws, bars, and chains every day.

Not many legs for sale out there.

Chaps are CHEAP!

JP

Got new pair full wrap stihl 40" in camo $89.99, 9 ply ,seem to be good so far ,& they pad the knees nicely for kneeling (not that they have additional padding in the knees) . I also ware double front pants.
got them in one day after ordering :)

Cheers, hope I never need them

Status
Not open for further replies.