Charcoal at the back of insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WARDNEAL

Jun 13, 2010
Central Ks
Hi everyone!

I would like to know if their is anything that I can do to get the wood at the back of the insert ( englander 13 nci) to burn up.

Hear is what is happening. I get a good burn on the stove anywhere from 550 to 700 on the thermometer blower on high and air about 1/4 after the fire gets going good.

It doesn't make much difference if I have a lot of wood loaded or a small load except I will have more coals with the large load.

If I just pull forward and load on top I will keep getting more and more coals.
Now I know that coals are normal and even charcoal.

But how do I get them to burn down. I have tried to leave the air open to max but that still leaves me coals after 3 hours and very little heat.

Any help?

Thanks Neal

WARDNEAL said:
Hi everyone!

I would like to know if their is anything that I can do to get the wood at the back of the insert ( englander 13 nci) to burn up.

Hear is what is happening. I get a good burn on the stove anywhere from 550 to 700 on the thermometer blower on high and air about 1/4 after the fire gets going good.

It doesn't make much difference if I have a lot of wood loaded or a small load except I will have more coals with the large load.

If I just pull forward and load on top I will keep getting more and more coals.
Now I know that coals are normal and even charcoal.

But how do I get them to burn down. I have tried to leave the air open to max but that still leaves me coals after 3 hours and very little heat.

Any help?

Thanks Neal
I am no expert yet but what i do is after the flames start to go out and only charcoal remains. I open the air vents wide open and open door and rake the coal to the very front. Or if the firebox is still real hot you can lay a small split e/w leave the air on high.

We pull them forward and start the new load with them. If we remove ash we never really clear out the box we just take the dead ash from the front and sides to take down the accumulation and then use the live coals to start the new wood. The bigger charcoal usually livens right up if there's any live ones or a relight gets them going too.

Have you tried raking the coals forward, opening the air all the way and just placing a single split on top of the coals and letting it burn? Also, try waiting longer before reloading on to the bed of coals. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.