Charcoal Grill Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btj1031

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2008
NH
So I'm starting to get the itch to get grilling again, and I'm resolved to get a new charcoal grill this summer. I currently have the Aussie they sell at HD. I've had two over the last 10 years. They do a good job, but don't provide a lot of surface area, so it gets tight when I have company. I'm looking for something larger, as well as something that can be used for smoking. I have looked at the grills that have the offset smoker capability at HD, Lowes, and Sears, but none of them appear to be all that sturdy. It would be fun to be able to do some wood-fired all-day smoking. What I'm looking for is reviews from anyone who has experience with the charcoal grills from the big box stores, or if anyone has experience with some of the more expensive charcoal smokers. I have read an extensive thread on the big green egg, and similar type grills, and I don't think that's the direction I want to go. Any input would be appreciated - I'm hoping to buy so that I'll be ready go go once spring hits.

I use Weber charcoal grills and love 'em. I have even cooked great pizza on them. I have a Charbroil smoker, and it is ok. If you are going to be serious about smoking, charcoal requires some monitoring to keep temps low and slow. I've heard electric smokers can give you a constant heat. If you are grilling and want to impart smoke flavor a bit, you can add wet wood chips of your choice right on the charcoal to get the effect.

I've heard great things about the Weber Silver Bullet Smoker with long burn times. It is a little pricey, but worth it from what I have read. It can be a PITA to keep adding charcoal every few hours on a 9 or 10 hour pork butt smoke. I use the grills more than the smoker, just because smokers can give too strong a flavor to the meat. I like to taste the meat, spice rub and sauce flavor on ribs and not be over-powered by smoke. My ribs get just about a 1/2 hour of smoke and it is plenty for me.

I'm sure other will chime in here. This is just my .02. Now you got me thinking of ribs next weekend.

Just another note on the side box smokers. My neighbor had one. We did pork butt and ribs one day. We found that the food did not cook evenly and it was just a mess. The heat was greater on the smoker box side of the grill and we had to constantly move the meat. I try not to remove the cover when I grill or smoke, you loose temp too much. We used almost two bags of charcoal for the thing. It may have been lack of experience using one. The upright smoker is all business, charcoal on the bottom, water tray and usually two racks for meat. I believe you can use an upright smoker as a grill by removing the middle section.

Weber has a great receipe for tipsy chicken with maple bourbon glaze that is awesome, one of my favs.

Thanks for your insight Fish. I was afraid of what you said about uneven cooking and constant tinkering with the offset smoker. I expect to have to add wood/charcoal all day long, but messing with the meat itself is another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.