charcoal startup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodzilla

Dec 23, 2007
Mid-Michigan
ok, so my first season burning wood and I'm talking to lots of people. Today someone tells me about using charcoal with damp wood, which was my complaint. I would imagine lump charcoal would be ok. I'm just at that part of the woodpile that is wet enough to hesitate startup, but goes fine afterwards. Any thoughts? Anyone else hear or try?

I have used the match lighting charcoal successfully, but it is not really the cheapest stuff. a bag is about $6-13 depending on the size. I have also used charcoal dumped on top of a deep bed of coals to extend burn time on the coldest nights and it has always worked great. Then add splits on top and finally more charcoal around the ends of the splits. Since the pieces are much smaller than splits it allows the firebox to be filled really full for the longest possible burn time. It is too expensive to use more often though. Typically I would use the charcoal about 7-10 nights a year.

Thanks keitho, I get lump charcoal for my smoker at Trader Joes (its cheeeeaap there) . I'll definitly try some for startup purposes. Maybe try your method too. Not tonight though, its a balmy 10 out tonight. Watch out for all those deer down there!

I buy charcoal briquettes at garage sales when I see them. Usually you can get an almost full bag for a dollar or so, everyone has switched to gas barbecues I suppose. I don't use them to light the stove though, just to fuel my Hibachi.

I am only going to use "lump" charcoal which isvsctually just charred wood. The briquettes, I think, have too many impurities, for lack of a better term.

Here's something else to consider, collecting the charcoals from your ash periodically. I usually can get a good box of them. We clear out the ash draft holes and wrap some charcoals in newspaper and light that and let it sit open draft for a few minutes, then add some kindling and go from there.

Lump charcoal is very easy to light, briquettes harder but not impossible, and can smell bad if have kerosene impregnated on them

Status
Not open for further replies.