Charging Storage .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

huffdawg

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I will be charging one of my 500 gal. storage tanks tommorrow .I guess the city supply is 500 gallons an hour as that is how long it took to fill.
What is a rough estimate on how long it will take to charge up to 185 °F with a EKO 40.

I'm stoked finally being able to see all the work i've done start to pay me back.
Also a another big THANK YOU to all the members in the Boiler Room that helped me build my own boiler room , could never have done it without you :kiss:

Huff

500 gals * 8.3 btu/gal/deg* 135 deg temp dif 50deg city water to 185F=560K EKO40 is 100K realistic BTU/hour? 5-6 hours.

Afblue has it about as close an estimate as one can get. Take a look at Storage Charging. This was 1000 gal from 115 to 190, which should be nearly equivalent to 500 gall at 40 (or 50) to 190. Time was 6.5 hours. Gross average boiler output was 127,000 btuh; output to storage was 101,000 btuh.

Are these figures with fan speed on high ? Does wood type make a difference in output ?

huffdawg said:
I opened up my storage loop to my primary tank now I have 10 to 12 psi in the system will this be a problem. I would like to start a fire now

Huff

I presume its cold the water in the tanks. You may want to start with a lower psi if your worried about having enough expansion.
One way to find out. :grrr:

woodsmaster said:
huffdawg said:
I opened up my storage loop to my primary tank now I have 10 to 12 psi in the system will this be a problem. I would like to start a fire now

Huff

I presume its cold the water in the tanks. You may want to start with a lower psi if your worried about having enough expansion.
One way to find out. :grrr:

I think the pressure is the head pressure from the vertical tanks.

I think your going to have to let some pressue out in order to get to 190 F

huffdawg said:
Got the 150 gal. primary and 500 gal. storage up to 152 °F in 4 hrs . the pressure was 25 psi. according to the boiler gauge

What's the size of your expansion tank related to the overall volume of the system?

PassionForFire&Water; said:
huffdawg said:
Got the 150 gal. primary and 500 gal. storage up to 152 °F in 4 hrs . the pressure was 25 psi. according to the boiler gauge

What's the size of your expansion tank related to the overall volume of the system?

My expansion tank is an Extrol sx110 62 gal. volume ..
System volume is roughly 680 gal.

I think its about 4 gal. short . but I will be adding another sx110 and another 500 gal. storage tank.

woodsmaster said:
I think your going to have to let some pressue out in order to get to 190 F

How would that be done? Wouldn't 'letting pressure out' just reduce acceptance volume and compound the issue?

If expansion was empty on the water side (assuming a bladder tank) and charged to 12psi on the air side prior to heating (I think that is the proper procedure), and heating to 150 brought things up to 25psi, I'm thinking you might need more expansion? That is without really knowing how much more pressure would increase going from 150 to 190 or so though. I would already be uncomfy at 25, but that might just be me.

As far as fill & charge procedure, only thing I can think to say is fill at low point and let air out at high point, then say a prayer & fire it up. Not sure that helps you or not though, sounds like you've been through that already maybe.

huffdawg said:
What is the recommended procedure to fill and charge storage . with regards to the expansion tank.

I don't have a bladder tank ,but think it would be the same. Heat your water to the lowest temp you think it will ever be. if you run all year that might be 110 F If you shut down in the summer maybey 70 f Close the valve going to the exp. tank and preset to
6 psi or whatever you need to operate your system. Make sure the system is full And pressurize to match the 6 psi in the exp.
tank. Open valve to exp tank, heat water and hope it dont go over 32 psi. You can allso do it without cooling your water , but it's more of a guessing game that way.

On my system, it has a 12psi feed regulator. So I would pressure mine to 12psi when cold. Any lower than that and I'd just have fresh water feeding in until it gets to 12. I could shut off the feed flow I suppose to get around that issue - not sure I'd want to. How's your feed regulated?

maple1 said:
On my system, it has a 12psi feed regulator. So I would pressure mine to 12psi when cold. Any lower than that and I'd just have fresh water feeding in until it gets to 12. I could shut off the feed flow I suppose to get around that issue - not sure I'd want to. How's your feed regulated?

Most have a nut on the top that adjusts the pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.