Charmaster for radiant tube heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using an insert for exclusive heat for 5 years now. It works well, but on very cold days - it could be much more comfortable in the house.
I have a charmaster doing nothing right now. I'd like to use the domestic water coil to heat water - send it through pex - and do a staple up installation in my basement.
I realize the furnace is not the most efficient, but it's what I have, and if I do the other install components correctly, then I can swap the furnace a few years down the road. The furnace will sit in a well insulated block "doghouse" just out side the walk-out basement. I'm looking for advice on how to make this set-up work well now, and be ready for a modern epa wood boiler in the future. Here's the basic set-up I've researched so far:

1. charmaster makes the heat - heats the water
2. water is pumped via t-stat controlled circ to
3. supply manifold (homemade copper?)
4. pex from manifold to joist bays (3 loops - around 200' each?)
5. pex is stapled up with AL plates
6. pex to return manifold
7. back to charmaster

Initial questions:
Should I consider storage in this set-up or wait for boiler? If so, how much would be effective?
would a mixing valve be recommended to supply constant temp to pex?
Would I use 2 T-stats - 1 for draft door, 1 for circ pump?

I know I have much to learn and will continue reading.
Thanks for any help along the way.

'Frank

I just cut my first load of wood for the charmaster, and I gotta say WOW!
How nice to make 28" lengths instead of 18" - I processed a pile in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.