Chase-Top DuraPlus Chimney Termination with a Quadrafire 7100 / Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I ran all my DuraPlus pipe centered through a 2' x 4' chase for a Quadrafire 7100 installation. I was going to order a stainless steel chase top with a standard 3" collar. Then install the pipe through it, pop on the storm collar (with high-temp adhesive), and the cap, and consider it done.

Simpson, the chimney manufacturer said (per phone conversation) that I can not terminate this DuraPlus pipe unless I use their galvanized flat-roof flashing. It's basically a galvy scrap with a cone on top. They said this is necessary to get the UL approval.

Every hear of this? This sounds kind of nutty. Even my chase-top manufacturer is puzzled about this one.

Any info or similar experience feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

Total BS. The manual specifically states that you can (not HAVE to)
purchase factory made chase-tops or they may be field constructed.
We make em from 16 ga. sheet aluminum & add the specified collar,
silicone the crap out of the juncture, install em & we're done.

That's what I thought. The Simpson Tech guy was very adamant about the heat that will build up in the "unventilated" chase.

I've installed class A chimney before, and it's only fairly warm on the outside of the pipe during a hot burn. I really don't see how adding this "cone" instead of a "flat-top" chase cover will make any difference.

What have other duraplus chimneys owners used for a chase top?

A flat chase top will not allow any precipitation to run off.
When we install em, we put a couple of 3 - 4" wide x 12" long
strips of Durarock close to the vent pipe...
This allows the chase-top to be pulled down slightly towards
the edges to allow for the run off...

Status
Not open for further replies.