chattering circulator?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
earlier, as I was re-firing my Econoburn 150 (initial install completed only a few days ago) after a period of dormancy since this morning, something in the system belched forth a pocket of air (yes, I have air eliminators - in fact, several- one at the top of the primary loop and one at the top of each secondary). I could hear it go "bloonk" in the pipes, and then hear the bubbles move around.

no big deal unto itself-

but, then, seconds afterwards, the circulator between the boiler and the primary loop began to emit what I will call a chattering sound- as if the impeller were dragging slightly on the housing/ volute, or as if some little bit of crud were suddenly dragging on the impeller

(for what it is worth, I also have a Caleffi Dirt Cal at the bottom of the primary loop to catch and remove the crud)

the circulator is a Wilo Star 21 FX - sort of a Teutonic Clone of the Grundfos 15-58 3 speed- and I am REALLY impressed at the design and workmanship of these Wilos.

The circulator is still moving water, but still making the noise-

should I (dear pros and more experienced hydronic DIY-ers):

1) ignore it and hope it goes away... (not my inclination)

2) wait until the system is cooler early tomorrow AM and yank the circulator's motor/ impeller assembly to see what I can see of interfering parts or interloping crud, and try to detect and correct what is going on (thankfully, I do have isolation flanges)

3) assume that some damage has occurred to the circulator and replace this one- putting it on the shelf as a short term back-up?

4) do something else that one of you knows of but I do not...

Thanks, all, as always...

Trevor

The cause may be the presence of air and low system pressure. This can cause pump cavitation (implosion of air bubbles) which does erode the pump impeller and volute. It will sound kinda like sand in the pump. Is it in an out building with a long run? I'd be sure you have 15 psi, shut the circ. off on occasion to allow air to settle @ the high points (assuming the air vents are at the high points). The condition will be more prevalant with higher temps.

And... the answer is....

Called Wilo tech support and they grilled me about various system parameters and they ruled out cavitation, as I had (it was making the noise even when run at 80F)(and I have been running the system at between 12 and 20 psi

opened it up (wonderfully easy on the Wilo design )
(and the innards are _beautifully_ well designed and well made- makes a Taco 007 look like a Yugo car by comparison)(castings and other parts wonderfully well designed and made in both design and execution)

the big belch of air blew loose some craptastically large blobs of solder that were hanging out in the volute, rubbing on the inner circumference of the impeller (which actually suffered no damage)

time to "fire away" again; hopefully my Caleffi Dirt Cal in the primary loop will catch other slag.

thanks, as always, for all the suggestions, thought I'd share what I learned case it hopefully saves someone else some headaches

Status
Not open for further replies.