Cheap certified shop stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
I got my new blaze king install inspected on Friday and passed the inspection. Again, OAK was required even with this new inspector. The permit only specified "woodstove" and not the location and since this inspector also inspected my new 30x60 pole barn I had to show him that the stove was in my house. Permits don't specify brand, model, location, or photographs.

So I asked, what if the stove was in my shop? He said they approve them all the time so long as the stove is up on an 18" platform and is an EPA certified stove. My shop has three 12x12 overhead doors and I believe that the fire code prohibits a woodstove in the shop (garage) but I want one and plan to install it in any case so an approved permit would be just awesome. I even acquired a fisher pre-epa stove to install but it is not EPA.

So I need an EPA stove at least temporarily to get an approval for a shop stove on my title. Later I can swap out to whatever I want without worry. Has anyone ever borrowed an EPA stove from a dealer, rented it, or must I buy one? If I buy one, has anyone returned one to the store? I like the NC30 but would like to buy it in the off-season. Should I explain my issue to the stove shop not? How would you all proceed?

I am currently installing ceiling rafters so I can set the ceiling support box and install the chimney. The old fisher is soaking in diesel after getting a rough brushing with the wire wheel.

I'll have to cruise CL. If I borrow or buy something temporary I would want a tiny one that I can move by myself.

How about the NC30 deals. Are there any? It would be the right thing to do and if price is comparable to a used EPA stove. Do you ever see used NC30s?

I haven't seen many. In EPA we see mostly Travis and Country stoves locally. The 30NC is going for $899 in Seattle right now. But I wouldn't get that for a temp stove if you don't want to move it frequently. It's heavy.

You see used NC30's pop up on CL, but this time of year if it is priced right you better be quick on it. You would be better off finding an older CFM that is EPA approved, you can usually find them for $200-$400 depending on condition (doesn't have to be perfect, your after the tag on the back) and resell it after the inspection.

I haven't seen many. In EPA we see mostly Travis and Country stoves locally. The 30NC is going for $899 in Seattle right now. But I wouldn't get that for a temp stove if you don't want to move it frequently. It's heavy.

I'll chime in here with the 30 is the easiest stove I have ever moved. Remove the brick, ash pan and door, and it is amazingly easy to move around. It is a LOT easier to move than the Heritage was, to put it in terms that highbeam can relate to.

I'll chime in here with the 30 is the easiest stove I have ever moved. Remove the brick, ash pan and door, and it is amazingly easy to move around. It is a LOT easier to move than the Heritage was, to put it in terms that highbeam can relate to.

If I can get a 30 in place it will just stay there and I'll sell the Grandpa Bear. If I can find a super cheap and light certified stove to buy or borrow it will be temporary.

I have an email to a lady selling an "unused/new" nc30 with broken glass that she is trying to sell on CL an hour or so away. Glass for the 30 is 135$ from their site plus shipping. Home Depot lists the stove at 849 right now new and with warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.