cheap charlie/pelpro stove no more

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbrown

Feeling the Heat
Jan 15, 2008
Hartland,Me.
hi everyone,

first, i would like to thank everyone who tried to help me with my cheap charlie issues. i found that there were two limit switches that were bad, so i replaced them and the stove put out alot more heat.

the hi limit switch was faulty, so i could not run the stove on the highest setting, and the fan limit switch was bad, so the room air blower would not go to hi.

needless to stay, the stove was still extremely hungry. the only way i could heat my home so the furnace wouldn't kick on was to run it on the highest feed rate 24/7,thus burning 2-3 bags of pellets per day.very inoficient imho,after seeing what every one around me was burning.

so, i bit the bullet, and bought a brand new harmon P38. what a differance! the wife runs the stove on feed rate 2 all day and keeps the house around 70 deg. all day. when i go to bed at night,i turn it up to feed rate 4, and the house is 70- 73 deg. when i get up at 430 for work. we are now burning only 1 1/2 bags of pellets per day, and i am thinking of buying the thermostat kit to save on turning up and down.

my question is...can i use a regular thermostat and wire to do this or is it recommended that i buy one made for this stove?i have a brand new thermostat for my furnace that my father in law gave me (honeywell), but wanted to ask if it would work first.

the wife doesnt want me to get rid of charlie though, she told me to put it in the garage to use out there when i am tinkering on the golf carts.

You should be able to use any millivolt thermostat, usually this would be any stat that takes batteries.

Also, check with your inspector before installing into the garage, usually no solid fuel appliances are allowed to be installed into a garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.