Cheap electric splitter mod question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nate0918

Sep 24, 2021
Keizer, Oregon
I am purchasing a cheap wen electric splitter to handle the small stuff and re-splits and was curious about the operation of the hydraulic cylinder. I was considering modifying it to operate dual-action. Any hydraulic gurus have advice on if the cylinder/valving/pump/seals would be able to deliver the same force on the back stroke as the forward stroke? Any indicators to look for on the unit to help out with this question? I imagine that the unit is designed to provide power only in the forward stroke but hey, its worth a shot!

No it won't have the same force on the back stroke as on the forward stroke, because the rod is in the way. It may be enough to split your stuff though

As an update to anyone that wanders across this thread, the cheap splitters are all single action pistons with spring return. I should have seen that coming. I'll make a few small mods, like mounting it to a cart, making a spiked metal pad on the pressing foot for a better bite on the wood, and maybe a 4way blade if its got enough guts. A tray for offloading the split wood will be a nice touch as well. So far, its done a good job. I've cut some 20"+ knotty sycamore chunks that taxed it but it still pulled through.

I’ve always been curious about these electric splitters. I’d like to use it for resplitting stuff as well. Or just for quieter splitting (like at night).

Did you get the Wen splitter? Is it the 6.5 ton? Is it about the same speed as a gas powered splitter?

Yes, I got the 6.5ton WEN electric splitter. The speed is a bit subjective however. It moves just at tad slower, but I can actually cut faster than gas powered because of what I'm cutting. I set the travel limit as small as I can get it for the pieces I'm cutting and I'm using it for rounds 20" or so and less and also resplits. With helpers, I can feed the pieces through real quick. The catch is that the blade is about 4-5inches tall and the pressing foot stops short by about 5inches. This means that if you are cutting wood that doesn't split clean and holds itself together with either the fibers or bark, then I end up with a pile of half-cut pieces that I have to finish off by hand. With the gas powered units I've used, the blade is taller and the travel brings the foot and blade to almost touching. This helps finish off the cut more often. I used a gas powered splitter for a couple cords of huge heavy rounds of knotty pine that were 3ft in diameter then used the electric on the resplits later. It's quiet and easy to move around. This makes it less intimidating for the wife and kids.

Yes, I got the 6.5ton WEN electric splitter. The speed is a bit subjective however. It moves just at tad slower, but I can actually cut faster than gas powered because of what I'm cutting. I set the travel limit as small as I can get it for the pieces I'm cutting and I'm using it for rounds 20" or so and less and also resplits. With helpers, I can feed the pieces through real quick. The catch is that the blade is about 4-5inches tall and the pressing foot stops short by about 5inches. This means that if you are cutting wood that doesn't split clean and holds itself together with either the fibers or bark, then I end up with a pile of half-cut pieces that I have to finish off by hand. With the gas powered units I've used, the blade is taller and the travel brings the foot and blade to almost touching. This helps finish off the cut more often. I used a gas powered splitter for a couple cords of huge heavy rounds of knotty pine that were 3ft in diameter then used the electric on the resplits later. It's quiet and easy to move around. This makes it less intimidating for the wife and kids.
Just ordered the WEN 6.5 ton electric splitter from Amazon. Arrives next week, appreciate any tips you may have on using this splitter. Plan on using it on some pecan and maple rounds, less than 10". Was gonna get the foot pedal switch, but saw one for $10 less at Harbor freight, so if it is recommended I will get one there. I did like the fact than the WEN comes with a stand to raise it up to 30".

I got the wen pedal. It accomplishes the same thing as the harbor freight equivalent so I say go with the cheaper option. You will need to put a clamp on the green start button when using the pedal. The stand is nice but not exactly sturdy when dragging it around. I use a harbor freight garden cart. I will come up with a block of wood or something to take up the space between the pressing foot and the blade so that the wood comes closer to the blade at full extension of the hydraulic cylinder to make a more complete cut. You'll see what I mean. I'll come up with a table around the splitter as well so that when the wood gets cut, the pieces don't just drop to the ground but rather land on the table to quickly reload for another cut if needed. So far so good.

I have a earthquake 5 ton electric, works fairly well but it”s slow and they say that it should not be used if the temp is below 40*

Forward stroke force: P*pi*R^2, where P is pressure and R is cylinder bore radius (half diameter).

Reverse stroke force: P*pi*(R^2-r^2), where r is rod radius.

So, reverse stroke force is less, at 1-(r/R)^2, or 1-(d/D)^2, as the /2's cancel out.

For most rod/piston combinations, this works out to 80 - 85% of rated force, in the return stroke. Probably not enough to slow you down much, unless your splitter is already underpowered for the job. Save the real gnarly stuff for the down-stroke, if it helps.

Reactions: AstroBoy
I got the wen pedal. It accomplishes the same thing as the harbor freight equivalent so I say go with the cheaper option. You will need to put a clamp on the green start button when using the pedal. The stand is nice but not exactly sturdy when dragging it around. I use a harbor freight garden cart. I will come up with a block of wood or something to take up the space between the pressing foot and the blade so that the wood comes closer to the blade at full extension of the hydraulic cylinder to make a more complete cut. You'll see what I mean. I'll come up with a table around the splitter as well so that when the wood gets cut, the pieces don't just drop to the ground but rather land on the table to quickly reload for another cut if needed. So far so good.
Got my WEN 6.5 ton electric splitter today from amazon. Checked the oil level, hooked up the foot switch, plugged in to a heavy duty extension cord, and started splitting. No problems, even 12-14" dry logs were split with ease. Took someone's advice, and rubbed some candle wax on the front of the splitting wedge, helps keep things moving. There was only one gnarly log that gave the splitter a workout. It was a green maple log about 8", but it had some nylon rope grown into the grain (see pic). The Wen finally got through it after rotating several times. I also like the leg attachment to save the old back.

splitmaple.jpg

Been very satisfied with my electric splitter. Got a score of Cherry from a neighbor, here is a pic of at least an 18" round that wen thru the Wen splitter. It did struggle a bit on a gnarly piece, but got there eventually.bigsplitter.jpg

I'm so used to looking at (maybe needlessly) heavy I-beams on gas splitters, that it's hard to not imagine those small trunnions bending. Are there any reports of this? Is Speeco giving me unnecessary exercise and back pain, wheeling their 22-ton gasser around my wood lot?

I would imaging the splitter manufacturer would at least stall the ram into some immovable object, to test for this, so I'm guessing that light weight design is perfectly adequate. What's the tonnage?

I just ordered the 7 ton Boss. It is supposed to arrive at Home Depot today. I will give a report.

I just ordered the 7 ton Boss. It is supposed to arrive at Home Depot today. I will give a report.
Looking forward to your report!

I was actually thinking more about my question above, and wondering if there’s any real competent mech.E who could do a stress/strain calc on a typical 25-ton log splitter beam. I’m guessing they’re way over-sized for the task of splitting wood at up to 25 tons force, but made that way for two other reasons:

1. Marketing perception. Redneck armchair engineers will always gravitate to “heavier is better”.

2. Incidental damage, and the reason those rednecks are often right. Bump the thing with the bucket of your loader, or drop a round onto it out of a dump truck, and you’ll be glad it’s way heavier than needed for splitting alone.

I have the Southland 6 ton splitter and it has the same issue with the foot stopping about 5 inches from the wedge. I have a scrap piece if 4x4 about 8 inches long that I put between the foot and stubborn split that wont split.

I have the Southland 6 ton splitter and it has the same issue with the foot stopping about 5 inches from the wedge. I have a scrap piece if 4x4 about 8 inches long that I put between the foot and stubborn split that wont split.
The WEN elec is rated 6.5 tons. If you disregard the spindly legs and small wheels on the (included in price) Lift kit, it is fairly sturdy. I use a piece of scrap wood to take up the last 5" between the foot and the piston on gnarly splits. I find a bit of candle wax on the blade helps keep things moving. I have had good luck splitting dry aged wood, your mileage may vary if you try green wet wood. Make sure to use a heavy duty extension cord to get the full rated performance.

I'm so used to looking at (maybe needlessly) heavy I-beams on gas splitters, that it's hard to not imagine those small trunnions bending. Are there any reports of this? Is Speeco giving me unnecessary exercise and back pain, wheeling their 22-ton gasser around my wood lot?

I would imaging the splitter manufacturer would at least stall the ram into some immovable object, to test for this, so I'm guessing that light weight design is perfectly adequate. What's the tonnage?
My 6.5 ton electric splitter at a certain point will not continue to work the piston and will automatically back off. Note picture of gnarly cherry splits in the front of this pile, These were rounds that must have been near a branch, took about three tries noodling around the edge to get through this 20" log.

gnarlysplits.jpg

One big tip you need at least a 20amp outlet for these, if you use an extension cord it should be at minimum 12 ga. for 25 ft heavier for longer runs.

Reactions: Ashful
The 7 ton Boss. $639 at Home Depot. We used it for 20 minutes today, this is a great little machine. Red oak.
IMG_4799.JPG
IMG_4801.JPG

Last edited:

Here I am on youtube with a review of the Boss. 5 minute video. I am a movie star.

Reactions: bipsic
A truck load of red oak. Go get 'em, Boss.
IMG_4886.JPG

Reactions: bipsic