1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cheap fire starter idea.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Nick Mystic, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Nick Mystic

Nick Mystic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western North Carolina
    It went down into the 30s last night here in western NC, so I decided to build a small fire before going to bed since the house was already down to 68. My wife had a birthday a few days ago and I had a birthday candle sitting on the counter from her birthday cake. It struck me that a small candle like that might serve as a fire starter. I loaded the stove with a half dozen small sticks (1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inches in diameter) and then a couple of small splits. I laid the candle down beside one of the splits and tossed a handful of kindling from the bottom of my kindling bucket. I lit the candle and sure enough that little candle got the fire going great! I'm talking about the regular size birthday candles that are about two inches tall and cost less than a dollar a box most places. Something to keep in mind for next burning season.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pfettig77

pfettig77 New Member

Loc:
    NW Wisconsin
    Cool idea. We used to do that when we were backpacking but we'd use trick candles so they didn't blow out in the wind.
  3. TimfromMA

TimfromMA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central MA
    The leftover wax residue doesn't bother you?
  4. Nick Mystic

Loc:
    Western North Carolina
    One birthday candle in a 3 cubic foot stove? You're joking, right?
  5. TimfromMA

TimfromMA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central MA
    Hey genius, if I knew the answer, I wouldn't have to ask would I since I have a pellet stove.
  6. Nick Mystic

Loc:
    Western North Carolina
    I didn't mean to insult you. I really did think you were joking. No, I'm not concerned with the wax residue. I'd be surprised if there is any after burning 40 lbs. of wood.
  7. prezes13

prezes13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I like to chop a litlle pice of a dura flame it's cheap and works great.
  8. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    That is a good idea!!!
  9. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Probably more wax in a 1/4 Super Cedar than a birthday candle. Wax burns -no problem in the stove.

Good idea but I will stick with SC's - they are just too good to try and replace.
  10. binko

binko Member

I start top down fires. I put 1 piece of FAT WOOD under my kindling (split pallet wood). I light it and forget it until everything is fully engulfed.
  11. Warm_in_NH

Warm_in_NH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central NH
    I use the Rutland fire starter squares. Get a box of 144 for $20, then chop each one into four pieces with my kindling hatchet. One box lasts a couple years and that's using thm on the outside out too.
  12. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    I like the candle idea. We have a bunch in a "junk" drawer - maybe a good way to re-purpose something that might otherwise just sit around or get tossed out. I don't wanna see them show up on top of a cake again anyway - just reminds me how old I'm getting, how fast a year has gone by.
  13. smokedragon

smokedragon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    You know, I think there are better fire starters out there.......but this sums it up for me. If you have they laying around and nothing better to do with them, why not "re-purpose" them.
  14. Village Idiot

Village Idiot Burning Hunk

Loc:
    No. Va.
    My kids make my fire starters. They save and dry the wood chips from my chainsaw, pack them in paper egg cartons, and pour melted wax into the cups. I just snap one off when I need a starter. they burn for 10-15 minutes.

The hardest item to obtain is the wax. Any candle or piece of candle will do. Last year they melted down all of their old crayons. I have enough fire starters for the next couple of years.
  15. bassJAM

bassJAM Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cincinnati OH
    I remember using candles a couple times back in Boy Scouts. It worked ok, though I prefer to just find tinder that will go right up with one quick light. Right now my go-to fire starter is a handful of noodles (from noodling logs). I keep a box full nearby, just throw a fistful in the firebox, put some 1" splits on top, and tough the lighter to them.
  16. Whitepup

Whitepup New Member

Loc:
    Kansas City
    Fatwood works for me also in my woodstove, but my kids make candle cupcake firestarters every year with old potpourii and the colored pinecones for the fireplace. They work great.
  17. TradEddie

TradEddie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    My exact thinking too. I keep old crayons, birthday candles, candle stumps and any scented candles that come as gifts, I crush them in a can and wrap the crumbs and lumps in newspaper. The paper acts as a large wick as soon as the wax starts to melt. In 15 years I haven't run out of candles.

TE
  18. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    You guys using generic wax starters, do any of you rub CAT stoves. If so any wax related issues?
  19. splitoak

splitoak Member

Loc:
    Jefferson Co, WV
    Ive read people use matchlite charcoal..does anybody use that?
  20. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I use those to start my coal stoker but they should work in a wood stove too. Dont think i would use them in a cat stove though. Dont see how they would hurt a tube stove.