Cheap LED bulb through my utility - NH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Our utility subsidize various energy savings goodies via a catalog. The most recent has Cree 9 Watt LEDs that are claimed to be 60 Watt equivalents for$ 2.98 each. They also had some Phillps for around $8 . Five bucks to ship no matter what the quantity although they limit the number of subsidized bulbs to 12 total . I am going to use the Crees to replace some halogens in my unheated garage. They also have CFLs. They sell fixtures but the times I have bought them I find that I can get the same quality at Home Depot for less. They also have different brands every year and sometimes getting replacement bulbs is a hassle on the more specialized fixtures.

Nevertheless, a good way to get some LEDs into the house affordably.

I'd buy a dozen at that price. Thinking about my 1960's house when I bought it, a dozen bulbs would have covered one floor worth of fixtures, and it's a 2-story.

If the Cree bulbs they are offering are the soft white versions that Cree sells at Home Depot, that is a great deal. I would make sure they are soft white.

I tested these Cree bulbs and the power consumption actually came in a little less than the 9W rating.

I was just at a HD this evening. They are now also selling a Phillips bulb in the shape of a loop for 10 bucks.

Fantastic deal, thanks! I'll have to tell my brother to take advantage of this, as he's moving back on-grid and will finally have a utility account number to be eligible for this sort of thing. This is a very good bulb, and I've been buying lots with the $5 discount my utility offers.

The link, for those interested, is http://www.energyfederation.org/nhsaves/default.php/cPath/2563_4732 . Though the site seems to indicate up to 20 subsidized items are allowed per customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.