Cheap plug in dimmer for fan speed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcole50

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2013
Ohio
Anyone know of a cheap dimmer or some other rheostat(potentiometer) than is rated to handle a blower motor? I see all kinds of light dimmers on amazon and I would preferably buy from amazon. But I know a light dimmer probably would not hold up to long if at all. But with the soon to be nc-30 sitting halfway inside of my fireplace I would like a simple plug in variable speed control to operate the blower. If anyone knows of a trusted preferably under 20$ unit let me know please

Anyone know of a cheap dimmer or some other rheostat(potentiometer) than is rated to handle a blower motor? I see all kinds of light dimmers on amazon and I would preferably buy from amazon. But I know a light dimmer probably would not hold up to long if at all. But with the soon to be nc-30 sitting halfway inside of my fireplace I would like a simple plug in variable speed control to operate the blower. If anyone knows of a trusted preferably under 20$ unit let me know please
I got a router speed control at a woodworking store, worked well.

I got this one last week, and it seems to work so far on the small blower on my 30. It doesn't appear to have a rheostat internally, since the measured power draw goes down when I adjust it. With a rheostat, the fan/switch combo should continue to draw the full amount since the rheostat just drops some voltage across itself.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BYEF6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Those are the ones I was wondering about cheap is nice but does that little light dimmer hold up to a motor? If so I will purchasing very soon. I figured the ac-16 blower that comes with the nc-30 can be set on high and a dimmer will just interrupt the path. The dimmer also shuts it off correct? Thanks!

Yes, the dimmer can shut the fan off. I believe this one works by trimming the AC input, rather than dividing it over a resistor. As such, at lower speeds I am getting a bit of a hum. But, I just needed a little less noise and airflow, which this accomplished.

The -16 on low draws ~44w, and on high drew just a bit more.

Nice for the price it's worth a shot. I hope that by having the rear of the nc-30 in the fireplace that any noise isn't amplified

I have used one of these on the AC-30 and the AC-16 blowers for four or five years now and love the thing.

http://www.horticulturesource.com/product_info.php?products_id=1643

736618-ngw.jpg

Dimmers don't work good with motors. Get a harbor freight router speed control- Item#43060. It's on sale now for $19.99. Use a 25% off coupon and get it for $15

Last edited:
Reactions: Fred Wright
Dimmers don't work good with motors. Get a harbor freight router speed control- Item#43060. It's on sale now for $19.99. Use a 25% off coupon and get it for $15
Yeah, I think you are better off getting something like that, designed for the application. That's rated for 15 amps. I think the motor on my Buck is 9 A...

Router speed controller on mine works well. Not sure what the brand is, cheap ebay purchase I think.

Yeah, I think you are better off getting something like that, designed for the application. That's rated for 15 amps. I think the motor on my Buck is 9 A...

I'd be really surprised if you had a 9A motor, maybe 0.9A. 9A would give you a a 1,080W blower motor. That's pushing the size of the smaller dust collection systems.

I use the one BrotherBart posted.....works great!

I'd be really surprised if you had a 9A motor, maybe 0.9A. 9A would give you a a 1,080W blower motor.
Right you are; I misread the spec chart. ;em If I'd figured the wattage, I would have realized that it would be like running a microwave oven 24/7. That could run into a bit of money. _g

Status
Not open for further replies.