Cheap storage temp monitoring?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveBP

Minister of Fire
May 25, 2008
SW Maine
Idly looking through an industrial supply catalog and came upon this idea. Those adhesive strips that have dots or bars that change color at different temperatures. Stick them all over the tank/s to see what kind of vertical and horizontal temp stratification is happening. It would require a removable insulation scheme to look in at it. I'm considering leaving at least part of my tanks exposed during the winter to heat my basement/shop. Any of you engineer types out there used these? Would they be accurate if surrounded by air that's way hotter that room temp? $15 for 10 is pretty cheap. They come in useful temp ranges. See this link.

http://www.omega.com/Temperature/pdf/RLC-80.pdf

They're great for troubleshooting. I bought a bunch and have them stuck on various pipes. Not so good for tanks which needs thick insulation. They make a high-resolution version which is wonderful for adjusting mixing valves. Ambient air doesn't affect them much.

On hot pipe, 180 ish the life expectency is fairly short. Great for troubleshooting, amazingly accurate. Better than point and shoot temperature guns when used with shiny pipe.

Heatway, now Watts Radiant has been offering them for about 20 years now.

Here is one I like a little better. It will fit 3/8- 5/8 pex and 3/4 copper. Easier to move around and not much more $$. The sample is in C I believe the new version reads C & F.

hr

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 244
Hot Rod- what's the description or part number for that nifty unit you show above?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.