CHEAP STOVE PIPE HELP NEEDED!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

detmurds

Jun 2, 2006
Seabeck, WA
aol.com
For my barn, I built a wood stove out of a 55 gallon barrel, and now I need a stove pipe,...what is the cheap (almost redneck) way to do this? I have metal roof, and the stove cost me under 30 dollars to build, so I don't want to spend more on the pipe than I did on the stove. Is it possible?

It looks just like this
W_Wayne_Robertson-4.jpg

Mine will go up to and through the roof unlike this one with the elbow.

detmurds said:
For my barn, I built a wood stove out of a 55 gallon barrel, and now I need a stove pipe,...what is the cheap (almost redneck) way to do this? I have metal roof, and the stove cost me under 30 dollars to build, so I don't want to spend more on the pipe than I did on the stove. Is it possible?

It looks just like this
W_Wayne_Robertson-4.jpg

Mine will go up to and through the roof unlike this one with the elbow.

Very cool!

Check craigslist and ebay.

It may take you a few weeks but you can generally find stuff you need on the cheap. It certainly never hurts to ask people to come down on their price.

Good luck. :)

I do not believe many will tell you how to install a chimney that is unsafe. I realize that this is for a barn but even barns will burn.
This could put you, or others and even the firemen that have to respond in danger.
There are many of ways to do this, but the proper way is going to cost much more than thirty dollar's.
Good luck.

I am not going to jeopardize my barn or community, I am just wondering if there is any alternative? I have seen a culvert used as a stove pipe? Just not sure if there is a 6 inch diameter culvert?

My grandfather had a well casing (big arse heavy black pipe) on their old Fisher. It joined to an adapter in the ceiling and was Class A the rest of the way. There were no problems with the setup as far as I know. Would it be up to code? LOL, I think not.

I also have seen culverts used and work, but I would not think that it would be very safe.
I am sure you have no intentions of putting anyone in jeopardy. But on the same thinking, how many drunks have set out to kill somebody on their ride home from the party?
Good luck in how ever you install your chimney and be safe.

Also, just so others may know who are reading this, the picture shown above would not be considered safe by any means if the white wall material that butts up to the crock going through the wall is drywall.

The only way that picture could be assumed safe would be that there is 18inches of solid masonry in all directions around that crock and the individual didn't want to see the brick so he completely plastered over the masonry (brick) he used so that it is perfectly flush with his wall.

Not to mention the stove is extremely close to the wall. That means that since a stove like this isn't at least 36 inches from combustibles (even the paper on Firerated sheetrock is considered combustible) then it must be solid masonry all the way to the concrete floor as well. Again and of course, being plastered over to appear as though it is a sheetrock wall.

(I just went through correcting a similarly dangerous setup)

pen

Even though I posted this picture, I do not know the man in this picture. What I do know is he says he has had success with this home-made wood stove/cooker for several years, so I would guess he has the proper materials in doing what he did? As for myself,...(again), I will have a straight pipe up the the steel ceiling.

That is fine. I just wanted to make note of what could be a deceiving picture.

My home had a completely unsafe and not to code thimble that never had a problem in 27 years of burning. That doesn't negate the fact that it was improperly built. Also doesn't mean that it was safe because it worked without a problem for so long. It really still could have well been a time bomb.

Not anymore though!

Status
Not open for further replies.