Cheap stoveglass cleaning option

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

petes_sakes

Oct 28, 2014
Southeastern WI
I just was experimenting with some different chemicals to clean the creosote off of my stoves ceramic glass. The best by far was replacing water with windex when using the ash on a damp rag method. I'd herd about getting a cotton rag or paper towel wet (with water), dipping it in ash, and scrubbing the glass. That worked pretty good for me, but using windex on the paper towel instead of water just blasted through the stains! Just an idea I wanted to throw out there for cheapskates like me who don't want to buy any extra chemicals to clutter their cabinets-

Last edited:
Are you cleaning grey / white soot off the glass? Or actual black creosote?

If it's black, with that primo stove, then something is amiss. If that thing is operating as it should, a grey haze may need to be removed from time to time, but black means she's burning unclean for some reason.... Especially if this is on more than a small portion of the glass. A little black in the corners does happen, especially in the shoulder season.

If it's not burning well, then it's possible that the loads being put in are too big for the weather, and the air control is turned down too low, it's trying to heat a space too small for the unit and the air is down too low, the wood is under-seasoned and isn't burning as well as it should, the draft isn't strong enough to promote a good burn, etc.

Glad you are getting the glass clean, but want to understand why / what it is dirty with in case there is a way to help there.

Good luck,

pen

Are you cleaning grey / white soot off the glass? Or actual black creosote?

If it's black, with that primo stove, then something is amiss. If that thing is operating as it should, a grey haze may need to be removed from time to time, but black means she's burning unclean for some reason.... Especially if this is on more than a small portion of the glass. A little black in the corners does happen, especially in the shoulder season.

If it's not burning well, then it's possible that the loads being put in are too big for the weather, and the air control is turned down too low, it's trying to heat a space too small for the unit and the air is down too low, the wood is under-seasoned and isn't burning as well as it should, the draft isn't strong enough to promote a good burn, etc.

Glad you are getting the glass clean, but want to understand why / what it is dirty with in case there is a way to help there.

Good luck,

pen

Thanks for the response pen. I actually have a new door gasket on order, getting some air leakage causing some buildup. At least I think that is the cause! If not, ill be back looking for some advice... I just couldn't believe how easy it made the glass cleaning, just had to throw it out there-

Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.