Cheap Useless Experiment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I don't think I need a thermometer to tell me how the insert is burning but I got a cheap ($5) digital temp. gauge with a thermocouple. I put the thermocouple in a magnet and put that on the top of the insert in whe hole where the air came out. Judging by the smell, I don't think the thermocouple is going to last. It's Celsius. I've read a high of about 453 F so far. The eBay link is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/280929959185?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
It was cheaper when I got it.

Attachments

• 20130105_185140_resized.jpg
    20130105_185140_resized.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 190
Your title next to that avatar is really messing with my sense of humor.

I got it to 253C/487F on reload. Still hanging in there. Not sure how long the 9 volt battery will last when on all the time.

It looks to be reading low as per the ir gun. It might be reading farther back though,

Ok, I am a newbie here, but why do you need to know the temp??

A lot of people seem to be obsessed about it. Me, not so much, but the price was real low.

The unit is way lower than my ir gun, on a black, accessible surface for testing. Can't recomment. Discontinuing experiment.

I take back what I said. I remembered I had a multimeter with a thermocouple on it. That multimeter/thermocouple gave about the same reading as the subject unit. So, I don't know. I was under the impression that my IR gauge was correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.