Cheap wood cart

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saichele

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
As discussed on the other forum, I stack about a face ( one 4x8 rack) in the basement (through a bulkhead hatch on the side) to avoid getting it everyday in the cold/snow/etc. Used to take forever with one of those canvas carriers.

Got my 2-wheel handtrck and drilled a couple 5/16 holes about a half inch off the edge of the lower platform, hooked a couple threaded links in there, and ran about 8' of some 1/4" nylon sash cord between them.

Out to the pile, lay the hand truck back flat, stack it full, stretch the cord up to the handle, and off to the basement. Move a face in 5 or 6 trips now. And no permanent damage to the hand truck (which was inthe garage anyway). Total cost was a couple bucks for the links and the cord (which were also laying around).

Steve

I've used a modified two-wheel wheel barrow for the past 12 years. It's hauled hundreds of cords. I really depend on it.

Attachments

• woodhaul.JPG
    woodhaul.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 2,140
I knew there was no getting that one past you, Dylan.

Eric Johnson said:
I've used a modified two-wheel wheel barrow for the past 12 years. It's hauled hundreds of cords. I really depend on it.

That is all beech in that pic isn't it Eric? I am green with firewood envy. That is the sweetest firewood on the planet and I am using the last of the 2/3 cord of it I have on the stack. I have three huge beech trees on the place and the only time I have burned it is this year. Part of the top of one was taken down by the tornado. The two big ones I have always called Beech and Son of Beech.

Yes, that's pretty much all I burn. Beech and a little hard maple. The nice thing about beech, other than its density, is that it has very thin bark. More wood per load, is the way I look at it.

Eric Johnson said:
I like both ideas. Steve you win the ingeniously frugal award, but Eric, your's is a Cadillac. Love the big wheels. They would work great on our terrain.

I offered to "store" my brother in laws metal garden wagon for the winter, and thought it would make a good wood cart, and it did, but I found the timing wasn't working out. The wife and daughter help bring the wood in, with my job bringing it to the door, and their job taking it down the stairs and stacking it. Switched to two medium sized rubbermaid containers, so as one is being unloaded in the house, I'm loading the other one outside and so on. Cut the wood load-in time in less than half. 'Course, my pile is only 50 feet from the door, and the back is still in not too bad a shape. Down the road I will also likely use the cart.

Hi Guys,

I have to cut my trees in the woods and haul the 18" logs to the house. I have been using one of those metal mesh garden carts they sell at Home Cheapo and High's for hauling. It is 4 by 2 ft and has 4 air tires (10"). The sides are 1 ft high and fold down. I load it up to the sides plus a little higher so that no logs fall out and pull that through the woods. Works surprisingly well. And at my pile, I unhook the side and all the logs fall out. Then I split and stack.

Carpniels

Hi Dylan,

a few hundred punds for sure. Don't know exactly. Roots of trees are difficult, as well as hills. I expect to spend 3 times as much time hauling wood than cutting and splitting. New sharp chain and bigger saw make cutting a breeze. hauling is where the work is.

I am sure dragging would work, but now I haul between 3 and 30 logs at a time (depending on diameter). I could never do that with a sled.

CarpNiels

PS. I am waiting for my oldest son to be strong enough to help push the cart. He is 2.5 years old, so a little patience is needed.

Dylan, you mean the notorious Fagaceae organized crime family? I was going to say oak, since it seems to have a lot of tannic acid and occasionally smells like fresh-cut oak. It's a beautiful tree all around, but largely considered junk by loggers and sawmills. So when you've got some growing, it usually goes for firewood or pulpwood.

Any time you can slide or pry something across a flat surface, it sure beats lifting and/or hauling it. That is unless you put it on wheels. When my daughter was 2 years old (some 14 years ago), I used to let her ride on top of the firewood load.

If it keeps raining like it has been for the past 24 hours and you guys won't need a cart. You can get your own little log drive going.

Carpniels can just park down the block from my house and fish the chunks out of the water as they float past.

Status
Not open for further replies.