cheapest pellet sifter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletizer

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2008
Pellet County N.H.
I think I have discovered the cheapest pellet sifter by accident.
I was thinking of building one of the PVC PIPE vac filters but found this feline item in the corner of my garage one night while using a steel strainer to sift out small pcs and dust.
This does the job good although slow, it filters dust and small pcs any way it works.

Attachments

• Oct23#02.JPG
    Oct23#02.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 2,395
  • Oct23#01.JPG
    Oct23#01.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 1,988
Pelletizer,

you must have a LOT more extra time on your hands than I do.....I couldn't do that cat litter thing....no way, no how.

I'm betting you'll get tired of that after a while, and build the vacuum system.

macman I must admit you could be correct here, The last litter/pellet sift after taking the little one to Brownies was way to long but it works for now and a PCV Pipe trip to Lowes is in the works.

If I can find a nice undoucumented neighborhood kid and pay him $10.00/ton it might just be worth it.

That looks like it would take forever to do a 40lb bag. This is better and it works great. I put one together the other day. I run a bag through it just before bringing it into the house. The guy who posted it in youtube should patent it. Simple, effective and cheap.

I plan to use a large steel colander, about 5 times that size to scoop out the pellets from the bag into the stove. To me what ever I do has to be easy and not a science fair project. I like the idea of sifting on the fly.

I've never had to sift any pellets... am I missing something?

I use a large restaurant size collander laid over a painted galvanized bucket . Works great . I pour a whole bag into a larger size galvanized bucket first . I pour the bag outside first then bring it in & start scooping pellets in the collander . minimal dust Muss . Dealer said it wasn't necessary but i like doing it . I'm sure if the newbies haven't discovered the wonderful world of ash dust when they open their stove doors to clean, they soon will . A little 2gal. wet/dry shop vac will take care of that .

krooser said:
I've never had to sift any pellets... am I missing something?

No one says you have to sift them. Some of us would rather clean them before they cause a problem in the stove (jam up the auger, etc.) or cause family members w/ allergies to have a reaction to the dust.

It's personal preference

Status
Not open for further replies.