Cheapest route to fill new splitter with fluid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I ordered a 20 ton Ramsplitter with 2hp electric motor. Manufacturer recommended 8 gallons of ATF fluid although I assume hydraulic fluid would work equally as well. Should I just look for the best deal on fluid by the gallon at Walmart or Tractor Supply, or would it be cheaper to try and get it from a large automotive service shop?

I think ATF is better at low temps, right? I'm in Virginia and can't see myself splitting below...25 degrees often, maybe a rare day splitting around 20? At what temps does ATF begin to outperform hydraulic fluid?

The price difference wouldn't be enough for me to use something other than recommended and potentially void the warranty if something happened.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Dang. Cheapest I'm finding Dextron III ATF is $15/gallon at Tractor Supply. That's gonna cost me $120 ;em

Now you see why the fluid that came in my splitter in 1988 is still in there.

Reactions: TreePointer
How about your car?

Would it really ever need to be changed in a splitter unless it was somehow contaminated?

I have only changed it in one vehicle. I changed it and the filter in my 1988 Blazer. And it is the only vehicle I ever have had that trashed a tranny. Never again.

Chinook helicopters are a hydraulic water works and we didn't change the fluid in them. And never fell out of the sky.

Dang. Cheapest I'm finding Dextron III ATF is $15/gallon at Tractor Supply. That's gonna cost me $120 ;em

I've never read a Ramsplitter manual, but I'm going to assume that it's just like any other 20-ton hydraulic splitter in terms of basic hydraulic components. That would mean that you can indeed use hydraulic fluid, and ATF is not necessary. In fact, all the manuals I've read specify hydraulic fluid for standard operation and ATF for operating in very cold temperatures.

I'd put ISO46 in it and call it a day. That will get your splitter filled for about $75.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/travellerreg;-all-season-hydraulic-oil-iso-46-2-gal
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/travellerreg;-all-season-hydraulic-oil-iso-46-5-gal

I split in freezing weather with 20 weight hydraulic fluid (very close to ISO46) without issue in my Huskee 35-ton. I do keep it stored in a 50*F garage in winter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.