Cheapest Steamers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotulf3cb

Oct 19, 2009
Philly
1) Does a steamer require a trivet with a non-enamel stove?
2) Where can I get the cheapest prices on steamers?

if your looking for cheap, use a big cooking pot with a trivet, you probably have both lurking around the house.

I took a stainless water kettle from a secondhand store, removed the whistler and added a small screen to keep it from burping on the stove. Gave it to one of the "I won't pay good money for that" seniors I help. Got a hunmp!!!! when I tool oit over, but a real nice box of cookies last week. As Franks says, the product is the point. Years ago I used an cast iron antique woodworking glue pot, about a five-six quarter. Looked unusual, and was a big hit witht the does it have a story crowd. The important thing with a water kettle and most CI, in my opinion is to raise the temp of the water to accelerate the evaporation, but not to a boil. Fill off stove and wipe the bottom before setting back down. Trivet is essential.

I'm using a Vogelzang cast iron kettle on the top of my Oslo with no trivet. The kettle sits directly on the stove top. It has marked the top up a little but the kettle always sits over that spot anyway, so why stress over it?

1) I don't think it's crucial to have a trivet . . . but I found that with the trivet the water evaporated at a better and slower rate than without the trivet and I didn't have to worry about the pot marring the top.

2) I bought my steamer and trivet through an on-line company . . . not the most expensive . . . and it shows as the paint is coming off in a few places . . . But quite honestly, it doesn't matter a whole lot to me since you kind of have to be looking for it . . . maybe I'll paint it this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.