Cheapest Time to Buy a Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2013
Potsdam, NY
I'm going to be picking up a new wood stove for next season, and was wondering what the best time to buy is for getting good deals? Should I be buying in the middle of summer when there's no business in wood stoves, or are deals better in spring / late winter when dealers are trying to clear space for hot tubs and grills?

I got estimates from 3 dealers at a state fair in august or September. They usually have some kind of deals going on at the fair. It's been a few years but I think the dealer I went with paid the sales tax on mine.

Call and call and call around. What I have found out so far dealers in NY are thieves. If and when i find a honest one i will def give them praise and more business. So far my range on the same stove has been up and down almost 800 dollars. So pretty one guy is selling it for 3700 another for 2900. Same unit.

+1 on calling. From my experience it's not until Spring really kicks into gear that dealers start trying to move the previous year's models at clearance prices. In my area, I'd say it will take at least a few more weeks before that happens. Probably different from region to region and dealer to dealer. You certainly don't want to wait too long until the inventory has sold. Keep calling around.

The question I have is this: isn't it worth waiting for the newer designs that are just now starting to be available? Sorta like buying last year's car at a good price after the new models come out. Ya, stoves should not matter but with the new designs changing so fast, it might be worth waiting to see what there is in the late summer. If last year's stock is still there and being replaced by newer models, it should be even cheaper if that's your choice.

Totally depends on the dealer. Some hang in with their pricing year around. I like our local dealer. Sells under list price year around. Some stick to list like glue.

The question I have is this: isn't it worth waiting for the newer designs that are just now starting to be available?

New ones come out every year. What ya gonna do, wait and wait and wait...?

The question I have is this: isn't it worth waiting for the newer designs that are just now starting to be available? Sorta like buying last year's car at a good price after the new models come out. Ya, stoves should not matter but with the new designs changing so fast, it might be worth waiting to see what there is in the late summer. If last year's stock is still there and being replaced by newer models, it should be even cheaper if that's your choice.
At this point info is readily available for most new stoves coming out. Many of the established models don't change much year to year. To stay on point tho, the OP was inquiring about sales.

the time was about 4 weeks ago, Menards was all but giving stoves away around here. Now their all back to their normal price and you have to order online if you want one, the stores are empty.

I got 300 dollars off my VC when I bought it in the summer (may/junish). It had been the floor model for the past year.

New ones come out every year. What ya gonna do, wait and wait and wait...?
Yes and no. I'm thinking that there are more changes coming this year and next than normal. Just my opinion.

Go to Home Depot Website punch in 37601 zip code to get the Johnson City TN store.

Englander NC30 = $649 shipping is $99

other zipcodes

So it looks like in this area of the country the distribution center may be overstocked.

Last edited:
Frequently there are good deals after shows and expositions where firms set up stoves for demo. They don't want to lug them home and if you are willing to haul them home they will give you a deal. I expect there will be some deals at the biomass show in Portland in April as its the end of the season and there should be several brands on display. The trade off is you buy what they brought.

Last edited:
wouldn't they bring the best to the show? And you know it works! Good place to buy I think.

I got a great deal on Clyde #2 just after Christmas. About $800 off list. I had to travel ~ 1 hour to get it.

I just talked to Woodstock--they deal direct with the customer and have GREAT customer service. I've never read anything negative about the company. They told me I could reserve whatever model I wanted whenever I wanted by sending them a refundable deposit of $250, and they'll stand by their sale price from last fall, plus if the price went lower at any time before we took delivery, they would give us that price. Can't beat that, it seems. They also have a 6 month money back guarantee, which they actually do honor! They'll do a full refund and pay the shipping back to them if you're not satisfied.

I just talked to Woodstock--they deal direct with the customer and have GREAT customer service. I've never read anything negative about the company. They told me I could reserve whatever model I wanted whenever I wanted by sending them a refundable deposit of $250, and they'll stand by their sale price from last fall, plus if the price went lower at any time before we took delivery, they would give us that price. Can't beat that, it seems. They also have a 6 month money back guarantee, which they actually do honor! They'll do a full refund and pay the shipping back to them if you're not satisfied.

Just decide what stoves you like and find a used one on Craigs List, Local paper, where ever you can find one. You'll find one for 1/2 price or less. There are some good deals out there.

What is a "local paper"?

That's what we used to use to start fires before we discovered super cedars :)

To the OP: I have heard that late spring/early summer is a good time to buy. IF you are going to have it installed then all the better as in the fall they get booked up and are likely to have less flexibility on installation charges. You may end up paying as much for your chimney/liner w/install as for the stove. I imagine that if you book now and only require it to be installed 'before fall' there is a good chance you will get a better quote than if you wait til fall and 'need it now'.

Status
Not open for further replies.