Cheapest way to stock up for 2009-2010

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dac122

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2007
Upstate NY
So I've got my 8-10 fc stacked for next year, with most of it pre-seasoned as it sat in the pile for the last few months while I split it.

My question is, since I'm set for next season, should I think about getting some really cheap wood for the following season? Can I do better with that kind of lead time? Would a local reputable fire wood seller give me a better deal on some freshly cut and split wood and letting it season on my property instead of his? Am I taking a risk in getting some wood that is rotted, or will be in 18 months.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

If you have the room it's best to get a year or two ahead. It won't rot if you stack it off the ground and cover the top.

Properly stored, the wood should be just fine for a number of years. Water is the enemy. In a load of wood I recently bought from some folks who are moving, was about a half-cord or so that he'd pulled out of the basement or someplace in his uncle's house after his uncle died. No telling how long this wood was in there. It's all black on the outside from decades of dust and dirt, but split it open and there's the beautiful clean grain. Dry as a bone, burns great. Not real sure just what kind of wood it is. One guy I heard or read once said something to the effect that having a pile of wood properly split and stacked sitting high and dry is like earning interest on your investment...it just keeps gaining in value to you the longer it's allowed to season. Rick

Around here it is possible to have log length (100") greenwood delivered in 10 cord truckloads for about $70 cord, oak or birch, vs. $170 cord delivered cut and split. That's about $1000 savings on the load, enough to buy a good chainsaw with a good start on a splitter, plus health club savings, longer life (if you don't cut your leg off), and a buff body from all the fun sawing, splitting and stacking, and it's the real deal.

Got my two truckloads two weeks ago- for the 09-10 season.
As said: one year for some wood is enough- two years seasoned for any wood is great.
Always like to get two years ahead, if you can- it is "money in the bank".

Had quite a suprise when I got home this afternoon- the sheriff drove in right behind me !
Live out in the country and don't meet a sheriff too often-
O' he just wanted to ask about my OWB, how I liked it...etc...
(sigh of relieve !)

Told him it was a good unit...etc...
He told me that his house- in the next town over (newport) was about the same size, oil heat= $ 4000.00+ this year...will be much more next year as his oil company is not going to do 'pre-buy' or budget plans, says they lost money ! ( wonder if that is going to be a 'trend' ???)
I'm thinking 'OMG!--- 4000+ for heating !'
We just can't keep burning them 'dinasour bones'. Can't 'afford' to heat with them.
But this change from oil is happening so fast- that too many people are 'stuck' with oil heat for now.
I told him 'I see lots of trees around here- but don't see any oil wells'.- got a laugh.

i will be getting a truck load next tues wed... should be 7-8 cords price went up though because i waited...
i will be using some of this this year .. because everyone around here claimed it would be ready by the fall
i don't plan on having to get into it until jan- feb but many people here claim there wood is seasoned because it has been laying log length for a year before it was split!!
what a mistake i made but i will be getting a half truck load in the winter so i can cip away and get ahead (i don't have space like you guys)

If you buy it green in bulk it is good to have a couple of years ahead. Green hardwood even left on the ground can survive for a few years unattended with no problems. I just got another trailer load of dead oak that had been dead for a while on the ground and most is still very nice. Since this has been dead for a few years it could be burned in the fall but I am getting about three years ahead and then may even order another 6 full cord load of freshly cut wood for a few years out. Last time the heating costs went up so did the wood as we all want to make as much as we can at every opportunity. :)

Face cords are kinda shunned on this forum for a good reason. A full cord is 4x4x8. And if you are talking face cords, you are already behind the 8ball. Get busy, get more wood!!

I'm cutting with another guy from here and we have a lady that wants about 3-4 acres clear cut. Father and I are going to be in wood for the next 3 years!!! We are trying to stack it now but the amount of white oak is rediculous (SP). Wife now loves it, bring on the next few years and we'll go from there. For those on the bubble, pick up the wood as soon as you can afford to stack it on your property.
Chad

sonnyinbc said:
Face cords are kinda shunned on this forum for a good reason. A full cord is 4x4x8. And if you are talking face cords, you are already behind the 8ball. Get busy, get more wood!!

Nothing wrong with face cords in my opinion. That is how most wood cutters sell their processed wood in my part of the country. If you don't cut your own from bulk then you do buy in face cords. We get 45-60 bucks a face cord depending on who you buy from and how far they have to deliver it.

dac122 If you have the room I would keep getting wood esp if the price is right...it's like money in the bank. 3 years is nothing for properly stored wood.

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry for the face-cord units, but that's how everyone sells it around here.

I guess I don't need to worry about the wood sitting too long as it will just get better. I'd love to get some whole logs delivered, but not sure I would get a kitchen pass from the wifey to spend that much time. Plus I'm not sure I have the room to store such a large quantity.

I guess the best time to buy is when the price is the lowest, and so I'll keep checking locally.

If you have a truck, go find the wood. I just got a 3-4 cords of white oak from craigs list for free. It was cut into 14-18inch rounds and has been stacked like that for months. I just read an ad on CL here on the island for cords of GREEN wood for 165 a cord and the guy says you better get it now cause it'll be 225 if you wait. Prices for wood are out of control here on LI. I saw a quarter FACE cord of oak for 100 bucks delivered. If I had more room I'd just keep taking what I could get. I'm probably up to around 4-5 cords without the white oak so far. I'm gonna wind up with 4 holz hausens in the back yard. Good luck.

That's why I'm building a wood shed right by the OWB, on the back of an existing storage building. Will be able to get 2-3 full cords under it, will be sitting on a 4" gravel base. Air can circulate from 3 sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.