cheat river pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never heard of'em. When I was doing white water rivers I went down the Cheat. It had wimpy rapids. :-S

Must be a West Virgina pellet.

I just took a look and the trademark CHEAT RIVER HARDWOOD PELLET FUEL was approved a week ago. It belongs to Appalachian Wood Pellet Fuel, Inc.

Maybe somebody has experience with Appalachian's pellets.

Appalachian Wood Pellet and Cheat River are new to market pellets. Appalachian Wood Pellet was started in April of this year but to new to have product in the area for a trial/test. I am not sure any members had a chance to burn any of there produce last season. But I am sure we will see some reviews come later this fall.

Check link for more info.

http://www.trademarkia.com/company-appalachian-wood-pellets-inc-3708976-page-1-2

Kinda fascinating that they got a deal with Lowe's so fast.

BB,

I am guessing they have something to do with Hamer pellet co. Pellet companies change bag names/brand names to sell in the box stores and pellet houses/stove dealers. They have been changing bag names to keep them seperate and less hassles. Dealers get ticked if they see the same pellet at the box stores for less than they caan buy for.

We saw Energex spin off Premier pellet as a sister brand. Just wondering if Hamer has done the same??? A wild guess on my part anyway. We also saw Curran spin off North American as well. The clue there was the address is the same for both brands.

Anyone have the address from the Cheat River or AWP pellet bags?

I just picked up three tons of these pellets for $182 per ton with tax. My stove will burn pretty much anything and the looked pretty good.

All three tons are neatly stacked in my basement waiting to be burned.

j-takeman said:
BB,

I am guessing they have something to do with Hamer pellet co. Pellet companies change bag names/brand names to sell in the box stores and pellet houses/stove dealers. They have been changing bag names to keep them seperate and less hassles. Dealers get ticked if they see the same pellet at the box stores for less than they caan buy for.

We saw Energex spin off Premier pellet as a sister brand. Just wondering if Hamer has done the same??? A wild guess on my part anyway. We also saw Curran spin off North American as well. The clue there was the address is the same for both brands.

Anyone have the address from the Cheat River or AWP pellet bags?
From the link you posted above they are located in Bridgeport WV. Also these are now available at my local Lowe's same price as all the other brands at all the other Lowes's

We just bought a ton of these pellets for $203 + tx near Buffalo,NY.
Someone asked for the address - bag says "Appalachian Wood Pellets Inc
Cheat River Div., Kingwood, WV 26537.
Also says it's "Premium" Grade, 100% Hardwood
Ash content: 1% or less
Fines: .5% or less
Sodium: Less than 300 PPM
"Hot burning, low ash"

Still looking for some feedback from someone who has used this product...

For $298 here on Long Island they're better choices and with good history to choose from. Barefoot and Great American Pellet...Also, New England Wood Pellet but I really can't make any judgement since I've only burned 2-3 bags.

I just came across them this weekend at TSC in Springville NY for 190 something. going to pick up a few bags next weekend to tryout.

Last week it got down to like 48 here in Olean, I tossed in a bag and they burned really hot. I was just itching to try them out. The pellets are small which means they feed very quickly. I turned down the number of pounds per hour and they still did well.

these showed up for the same price as the NEWP--- er I mean Green Supreme that Lowes has in town.

So it sounds as if these are more desirable then the repackaged NEWP?

Saw a pallet of the Cheat River pellets at my local lowes as well (S.E. PA). Lowes had written the same internal product number on the side of the pallet, so the guy said they would sell for $197 (same price as the re-bagged/named Currans). If they are Hamer's I'll be buying. :)

having no experience with the Hamer's back in the day... I'm dieing for a more seasoned burner to take a look at these!!!
As I maybe splitting 2/2 tons with these and the NEWP rebagged tomorrow.

let me just teleport a couple of bags down to you from central MA.

I'm kinda surprised CT Lowes aren't stocking them prior to MA Lowes

I'm hoping to not start my stove until mid October, So I have some time to look around. I already have Platinum Fire and Geneva lined up and a bag of Power House the pellet fairy dropped off. Green Supreme's and Maine Choice are also on the list to scavange.

LI Pellet Pig,
I live in Seaford where do you get your barefoot and okies from? I got Barefoots from Gold Coast Flooring, but they have gone up to $320 per ton.
Thanks

The Barefoot's I purchased end of last season from Gold Coast Flooring and the Okies are from Bravo Window and Door in Copiage also picked up late last season. Bravo Window and Door currently has the best selection on pellets and they're a local supplier. I hate supporting the Big Box stores and rather buy local, even if it cost a few extra bucks.

got mine delivered on Thursday. Burned them on Saturday night. I was burning on the lowest setting so it's really hard to see what the true heat put will be like; but they seemed decent.

What I didn't like was the lose packaging they came in. Not the pallet wrap from Lowes, but rather the individual bags, the bags themselves were on the lose side, which will cause the pellets to shift more within, and thus you'll see more fines/dust within the bag :(

Funny thing is I am about 2 1/2 hours from where Cheat River Pellets are made and our Lowe's has them for a low price of $5.96 per bag! I hate that since I am in West Virginia and I'd love to use a local pellet (for the right price).

Just stopped in Lowes today and they still have some Greene Team pellets but now just got in Cheat River as well. They are $3.58/bag here. I'm going to try and pickup a few bags to try out to see if they are better for me then the GT's for next season.

Picked up 5 bags @$3.58/bag today to do my own litte experimental test on mostly ash content/weight(build date 06/2011). I'm no expert by no means but between TC, GreeneTeam and now these Cheat River pellets I can decide which will require less cleaning, although TC will not be available anymore(please don't bash they did fine for my needs but I could understand if I was burning 3-5 tons/season).

Attachments

• IMG_3160 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3160 (Large).jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,315
  • IMG_3161 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3161 (Large).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,045
  • IMG_3162 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3162 (Large).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,046
Status
Not open for further replies.