Cheat River

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thepaulmc

Jan 2, 2012
Pocono Mountains, PA
I never heard of these pellets before but I am a newbie to this. Did anyone use Cheat River Hardwood pellets and are they any good, or are they a cheat??

I bought 4 bags at Lowe's in Dickson City, and they were one of the worst that I have ever used. From what I noticed they did not burn hot at all, left a lot of ash, and I do believe my very first clinker ever was from them. I also have had Green supremes and stove chow and Presto's from the same Lowes, or Home Depot down the street and the Green Supremes were better that the Cheat River, the stove show better than GS, and the Prestos are as good as any of the "good " pellets I've ever burned. I will be looking for more PRestos for next year.......BTW I'm in Eynon, little north of Scranton.

John

I haven't seen them. This year I'm burning Powerhouse pellets; made in Aquashicola, Pa

mccabedoug said:
I bought six tons of them for $194/ton. I'm three tons into them this winter and I am very pleased for the price I paid.

how has your winter been? We've only had a couple of weeks of what I'd consider cold (single digit/low teens) which were the real test of pellets

I saw them this morning at a local Lowes store. They had a bunch, 3 or 4 tons on the floor and others in the back. They had 1/2 pallet left of North American so I grabbed 4 bags of those to try, figure I can go back to try the Cheat River ones later.

mr coffee said:
mccabedoug said:
I bought six tons of them for $194/ton. I'm three tons into them this winter and I am very pleased for the price I paid.

how has your winter been? We've only had a couple of weeks of what I'd consider cold (single digit/low teens) which were the real test of pellets
Same winter here in central MA: very mild so far with only a few very cold days. That said, my stove has had no trouble keeping my entire 2800 sq ft colonial warm. The ash for these pellets is comparatively low and the dust in the bags is on par with what I've burned in the past (Oakies, NEWP, LG, etc). There are a some long pellets in the bag but my 61A has experienced no troubles with them. For the price I paid I'd buy them again.

On the really cold days my furnace kicks on to help with the upstairs but that has always been the case regardless of the price/quality of the pellets I've burned. My goal is this: make it through an entire New England winter on less than one tank of heating oil. That same tank of oil is used to generate the hot water for a family of four. For me, THAT is the test of wood pellets and the Cheat River Pellets seem to be passing (so far).

Status
Not open for further replies.