Check for wall insulation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pegdot

Nov 16, 2007
Upstate, SC
Does anyone know of a practical way to check exterior wall to see if they are insulated? We'd assumed that our old house had zero wall insulation since we've had exterior walls on two sides of the house open to do remodeling and found no insulation and only tar paper for a vapor barrier but while installing a pellet stove recently we discovered that the exterior wall on the west side of the house had not only blown cellulose but an extra layer of wood and what I call rosen paper behind the clapboards. The interior walls are all horsehair plaster and wood lath so I don't really want to drill a bunch of large holes in them if I can avoid it.

I have an inrared thermometer so I'm wondering if taking readings off various points of the exterior walls, on a cold day when the house is warm, might work. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.