Check In Thread For Those In Matthews Path ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
We want you safe ......

Check in, please, or contact other Hearth members so they can keep us posted on your safety !!

My sister is on the NC/SC border about 30 miles inland from Myrtle Beach. She got a call from the county a few minutes ago saying Do not go out on the roads. There is a lot of flooding and some bridges out. Her own yard has 6-9" water in it. Lost sight of the driveway around daybreak. Said winds last night were very intense and kept her from sleeping. Amazingly she still has power.

South Carolina is currently reporting 4-12" rainfall per hour !!

Daughter's boyfriend is in zone B at Myrtle beach. Lost power for a few hours but doing OK. Trees down and water issues along the shore with some fires (north and south ends of Myrtle beach). Not sure how his relatives in North Carolina faired... seems NC took the worst hit along the coast.

My nephew in Vero Beach went to Orlando as they are not far from the shore. Haven't heard damage report, if any.

Hoping to see some check-ins but Inglenook is often overlooked.

Sister got power back overnight. She is about 30 miles inland from MB on the NC side. She has a major mess to clean up in her yard. One fence blown down and a good portion of the roof. :(

Portions of the roof totally gone or shingles only? Latest issue in NC appears to be flooding due to rainfall with rivers & streams still to peak. 560 water rescues in NC earlier this morning.

Haven't seen any pictures, but it sounds like portions of the roof and the ridge cap. There is a huge amount of water draining off the land that may increase flooding for a while.

Last edited:
It's a mess down there.

Although she got power overnight the nearest town did not yet. And a friend of hers in the suburbs of Raleigh was told that they may not have power until Oct. 16th!

One of my "other daughters" is in Flagler Co , Fl... looking at no power for a week, atleast

Could have been a lot worse

Feel bad for the people of Haiti. They haven't even been able to access all the outlying islands yet.

Dix, that was supposed to be a fairly hard hit area in Florida. No major damage? Power off for a week is tough. Bet there are no generators to be had...

We got alerts earlier last week, then were told it was getting bounced out to sea & we wouldn't get hit.

We got a lot of wind & rain where I'm at yesterday - but the east end of the province really got nailed with like 10" of rain, unheard of for here. Huge damage, floods & power outages all over.

Wouldn't get hit, they said....

We got alerts earlier last week, then were told it was getting bounced out to sea & we wouldn't get hit.

We got a lot of wind & rain where I'm at yesterday - but the east end of the province really got nailed with like 10" of rain, unheard of for here. Huge damage, floods & power outages all over.

Wouldn't get hit, they said....
Been on the news ... Transcanada in the middle of the province closed due to damage from flooding. Communities isolated from washouts. Stay safe!

Weather models cannot always predict Mother Nature ... Sandy was similiar.

Edit: sounds like Newfoundland is in big trouble ... worse than east Nova Scotia?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.