Check my gasket out :0)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pulldownclaw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 2, 2007
Richmond, Va
It looks like my gasket for my glass is not sealing up right. I tried to move it with a flathead, but it won't budge. Do you think that's causing a leak through my glass?

Attachments

• Wood stove gasket 2.jpg
    Wood stove gasket 2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 486
  • Stove door gasket 1.jpg
    Stove door gasket 1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 443
i dont know man, it could be. tough place to stick a dollar and check though.
its not set right but is that gasket real loose? .. is that bar still holding it somewhat?
cant you jsut loosen those 2 screws a quater turn and tuck it back in or is that been tried too.

It almost looks to me like you're missing a screw and clamp right in the center there.

Is that a screw hole or is it just gasket fuzz?

-SF

I had the same thing when I got the Castine. Loosen up the two side clamps a little, and gently move the gasket about 1/8" under the glass with a wide blunt object. A butter knife will do. Try to avoid tearing the gasket. Then tighten down the clamps again, gently. Don't clamp down so hard that it stressed the glass. You want to hold the gasket snugly, but not break the glass.

I did loosen up the screws and try to move the gasket, but it really felt like it didn't want to budge. I'll try again with something wider, see if that works. SF- that's just gasket fuzz where the gasket joint is, no clamp goes there.

Well don't force it. The gasket may be glued. If there is no sign of smoke on the glass at that point, maybe just leave it.

The glass has been getting dirty on the sides. I recently adjusted the door latch to make it tighter, and did the dollar bill test. Is the dollar bill supposed to be just difficult to pull out, or if it slides out with no resistance then is your seal too loose?

I have the same stove, looks identical. No problems. Your flames would be really dancing when you choke it down all the way if it was leaking. My guess is that it is fine.

pulldownclaw said:
The glass has been getting dirty on the sides. I recently adjusted the door latch to make it tighter, and did the dollar bill test. Is the dollar bill supposed to be just difficult to pull out, or if it slides out with no resistance then is your seal too loose?

There should be some resistance. Doesn't have to be alot. If the bill slides easily side to side, and you can wiggle it in there, thats too loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.