check out my new tool

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok get your minds out of the gutter ya pervs

I got the idea off of a you tube video that was posted up earlier this week so I went to the auto shop class of the school I work for and had them weld a steel rod to a u shaped piece of steel brought it home and ground it down until it was the right fit and walla a perfect boiler ash rake!

Attachments

• boiler tool 1.JPG
    boiler tool 1.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 630
  • boiler tool 2.JPG
    boiler tool 2.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 623
  • boiler tool 3.JPG
    boiler tool 3.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 625
  • boiler tool 4.JPG
    boiler tool 4.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 632
Good job! Now design a poker that dosen't bend every time you use it!

taxidermist said:
markpee said:
Good job! Now design a poker that dosen't bend every time you use it!

YEAH THAT!!!!! Dam thing!!!

I dont use the one that came with the ekoI use one for a normal wood stove as it is alot stronger and can actually hook the wood. they can be picked up cheaply at home depot or even walmart. Or you could use a piece of rebar that should not bend however it may be alittle on the heavy side.

I already had one. It came with my Wood Gun which I junked more than ten years ago but for some reason I kept it thinking someday I would find a use for it. (pack rat). The Wood Gun had fire tubes that were the full lenth of the unit and needed to be raked out quite often. The only thing I had to do to make it usable in my Eko was to grind the radius a little.

Nice. I've thought about doing that, too. Never got around to it, of course.

For a poker, the stock EKO unit is pretty useless. I use an old coal boiler poker that I found in the basement.

Eric Johnson said:
Nice. I've thought about doing that, too. Never got around to it, of course.

For a poker, the stock EKO unit is pretty useless. I use an old coal boiler poker that I found in the basement.

Can I look in your basement for another one?

Only if you agree to clean it up, first, Eric.

A piece of 3/4 or 1-inch rebar works pretty well. You can buy rebar at Home Depot, though I'm not sure about the larger diameters. Stick the ends under the nozzle of your Tarm to get them red hot, then make like a blacksmith and bend them to suit your needs.

I love the suggestion of using my gasifier as a forge!

my old 1830ish farmhouse basement has been a trove of all sorts of good stuff from decades and centuries past

I still wish I could've kept the circa 1852 wood cookstove that was down there, but as part of my bargain for the house, I agreed to let the owner take whatever he wanted, and that I'd keep or haul the rest- and the cookstove went

Great - first boiler envy and now I have to move to tool envy!! Seriously, nice job - looks really handy.

sdrobertson said:
Great - first boiler envy and now I have to move to tool envy!! Seriously, nice job - looks really handy.

thanks seriously making the tool was so easy the hardest part of the whole deal was the time it took to grind it to the proper shape if you can find someone with a welder its a 2 minute weld. I dont know if you could do the same thing with jb weld because of the heat. but hey who knows.

shoeboxlen said:
sdrobertson said:

thanks seriously making the tool was so easy the hardest part of the whole deal was the time it took to grind it to the proper shape if you can find someone with a welder its a 2 minute weld. I dont know if you could do the same thing with jb weld because of the heat. but hey who knows.

How about just a hardware store bought threaded rod and bolt it together?

Mike

steam man said:
shoeboxlen said:
sdrobertson said:

How about just a hardware store bought threaded rod and bolt it together?

Mike

that would work too! good call..

Status
Not open for further replies.