Check out my stove ... need opinions ( pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

berg

Feb 18, 2012
utah
Picked up this Bosca Spirit 500 on a trade for a old Lopi log stove ... The bosca was one year old and the previous owner was moving to an area with abundant lodgepole wood available.
I have had a few minor things to fix , ignitor and flue which was included in the trade. Ignitor was not installed properly. I have not installed the flue yet ( this spring).I got great support and info from US STOVE.
My reason for posting is I really like the access you get on these and they are heavy..375 lbs iirc.
40 lb hopper and most reviews and reports have been good.

questions:
How big of hearthpad should I use?
I'd rather not use an OAK... ( what is best)
Do I need to vac out fines before loading stove ( bag fines)
Any suggestions for a newbie pellet user?

opinions appreciated- thanks

Attachments

• bosca2.jpg
    bosca2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 191
  • bosca2a.jpg
    bosca2a.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 183
  • bosca 1.jpg
    bosca 1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 194
- vacuum everywhere possible
- then blow everything out (outside), then vacuum again
- pull any motors out and clean well
- inspect the gaskets
- clean burn pot well

I would highly suggest a oak. Never heard anyone say they regret installing a oak.

You really want it clean it will give you a baseline if the burn is crappy.

Good luck on your new stove. That stove was on my list of stoves to install in my kitchen-dining area. I lucked out and got the ceramic paneled Elena for a very good price. Check or download a manual to see what hearth pad you should have at a minimum. They are easy to build to keep costs down and use the savings to get a pellet brush and rods, leaf blower,paint brush,motor oil, never seize grease, fireplace glass cleaner etc. Dedicated tools and tool box, as a clean stove will give years of trouble free service and its a hinderance if every time you want to clean etc you have to track down the tools.

Suggestion #1

Fig 6. Locate terminations: a) not
less than 3 feet above any forced
air inlet located with 10 feet; b)
not less than 4 feet below or
horizontally from, or on foot
above, any door, window or
gravity air inlet into any building;
c) not less than two feet from an
adjacent building and not less
than 7 feet above grade when
located adjacent to a public
walkway. Mobile home installations
must use a spark arrester.

Suggestion #2
FLOOR PROTECTION:

Freestanding installations, minimum 29,2" wide by 34,0" deep. The stove must
be placed on a continuous (grouted joints) noncombustible material such as ceramic tile, cement board,
brick, 3/8” millboard or equivalent, or other approved or listed material suited for floor protection (refer
to fig nº 3)

Nice stove.. I would suggest the OAK also, keep it clean, and follow the Manf recommendations as to the Hearth size. They will have the clearances needed for the sides and/or front.

Status
Not open for further replies.