Check out the members map! please add yourself :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corie

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
Camp Hill, PA
There is a website, I'm going to search for it. It allows the members of the board to mark their location on a map.

Corie said:
There is a website, I'm going to search for it. It allows the members of the board to mark their location on a map.

Pretty Cool, Corie.... added myself there as well

Just curious, Mods, and Craig... can you do the map as a "sticky" or link it somewhere on one of the pages? After a while the thread is just going to drop down.

You can really zoom in and get to the street level on the map. You really are kind of "out there", MSG

Just make sure that when everyone is adding themselves, they put their member name from here on there, as well as their real name. Otherwise it gets a little confusing.

I added earlier, now you want my real name too???????? ;-P Just kidding..
Well my avatar won't work so I'll have to come up with something else.

Nice, i knew there was a reason for the "split" feature in the mod menu.
I cant do stickys though.. i would like to sticky the photo shoot too.
Harley, you can definatly call me a hill billy.

I added my location, but I'm going to be real p@#$@#, if I start getting a bunch of SPAM. Don't particularly like the idea of giving up my email address.

I can appreciate your concern. I have it too. You can give a fake one or add -nospam to the address.

I posted too .............The lone few in the mid section. ( more trees for us ! :cheese: )

I would stay away from listing your full address on the map being on the internet.
Town and State at most.

My 02¢

if you put your full addy in, it will pinpoint you house on the satalite image. All you need is city and state. For email, just use the old [email protected] .... I believe this is tied to google.. which is a pretty reputable company.

The anonymous visitor thing is kinda lame. Cmon guy/gals, put a nick so we know who is where. Otherwise whats the point?

Are you sure you want your address posted on the net for
anyone that is a little out of wack to see?

After all the BTK a friendly code enforcement officer.

homefire said:

Well I guess if I was that paranoid, I'd see it in that light.
I don't think my town & state really narrows it down to where I live. Especially since in most rural areas, the town posted may only be where the post office is, but not the exact town lived in.
And, anyone coming down my driveway that I don't know or unannounced, had better have some serious backup, or firepower. And at the very least explain themselves real quick. And yes I am VERY confident about that statement.
Not that I would break any laws or such ;) Law enforcement is not welcome on my property, unless I know them real well. And can't say I know any real well :)

Why would you be afraid to let someone know what city/state you live in? An exact address I understand, kind of. Of course I always use my real name etc. It doesn't bother me that people know who I am.

Hogwildz said:
homefire said:

I don't think my town & state really narrows it down to where I live. Especially since in most rural areas, the town posted may only be where the post office is, but not the exact town lived in.
And, anyone coming down my driveway that I don't know or unannounced, had better have some serious backup, or firepower. And at the very least explain themselves real quick. And yes I am VERY confident about that statement.
Not that I would break any laws or such ;) Law enforcement is not welcome on my property, unless I know them real well. And can't say I know any real well :)

I was referring to the MSG post that suggested pinpoint image with your address.

I suppose I should have quoted it in my post.
I am not a paranoid person....just not real gullible when it comes to human nature .
But you're all big boys and girls ....so do as you will.

i was just clarifying what the address line is for. Its not so they can mail you stuff its just to pinpoint on the map. I choose not to put my addy on there.. that seems.. well... silly.

homefire said:
Hogwildz said:
homefire said:

I was referring to the MSG post that suggested pinpoint image with your address.

I suppose I should have quoted it in my post.
I am not a paranoid person....just not real gullible when it comes to human nature .
But you're all big boys and girls ....so do as you will.

Now the pinpointing point I do agree with. And yes MSG thats just plain silly. There is a google satellite thing that one can put their address in to see what their house looks like from the satellite, and its personal use & not posted for all to see on the web. I tried it and couldn't see jack sheet for my place, which is a good thing to me.
I also agree, theres some real wackjobs out there on the internet. Both good points. I'll also add that anyone that gullible, probably shouldn't be on the internet. But we know that will not stop some.

I'm in and I know there are more of us in SE Massachusetts (soon to be Taxachusetts now that King Deval is occupying the Big Office)

I'd like to see a get together maybe in the summer when the weather is fairer. Of course I could bring my cardboard fireplace for us all to sit around and have some beers & share stories :)

I'm in, thanks Corie, I'll reference this thread in suggestion box

Status
Not open for further replies.