Check out the SE grin on this guy... Homemade Ebay stove, lol

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First link to the the homemade stove. The following links are just some things I thought you fellow wood burners might enjoy. I really like the styling of the old stoves, wish some manufacturers would make something similar, though with modern efficiency. Enjoy!

-Kevin

Crazy guy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...earch.dll?from=R40&satitle=190074082703&fvi=1

This one is nice, but $23,000 ???
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...earch.dll?from=R40&satitle=150081226177&fvi=1

Possible good deal in MA
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...arch.dll?from=R40&satitle=200070923011 &fvi=1

Cool old Englander
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...arch.dll?from=R40&satitle=250074387870 &fvi=1

Two cool old stoves:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...arch.dll?from=R40&satitle=130071088453 &fvi=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...earch.dll?from=R40&satitle=220073200745&fvi=1

Crazy Guy? That grate is a classic! great efficiency! My god.....

23,000 stove- not to be crude but that thing better be capable of sexual favors for that type of scratch!

Yeah that grate is ridiculous. If there people want to actually make a dime, they should try building stoves that might work well, instead of huge tanks that just burn wood.

Any experts able to ID that Heritage stove more closely? Does it look like it is a modern model? Is it as good as the modern Hearthstones? I noticed the seller said "Ceramic tile" - is this an alternative material to the soapstone, or does the seller just not know what he's talking about?

Gooserider

hey goose its got your name written all over it reversable flue collar in MA Price could be right
3 years old

elkimmeg said:
hey goose its got your name written all over it reversable flue collar in MA Price could be right
3 years old

Hmmm Seems to be older than that - I wrote to the guy selling it, and he said "This was a very expenseive stove so if law dictates it to be "EPA ll approved" Im sure it is, I do not have model # only the model name Heritage, the flue is rear but I believe it is convertable to top flue, The owner of my home bought the stove a couple of years before I bought the house in 2001, I only used it one season in 2001, from ground to top of pipe is approx. 22", it is a 6" flue. Thanx."

I've written back asking him if he can read the label off the back of the stove, that should give exact vintage, and at least some specs...

So the dimensions would be right, and it's pretty, but at least 1999 or earlier - would that still be EPA II ? compliant? I figure no sense in just swapping one smoke dragon for another....
It is hard to tell what condition it's in, given that the guy only has one picture - it looks nice, but that could be just cosmetics - how fragile are Hearthstones in terms of stuff like over firing and the like?

Also is there any easy way to lighten one of those babies up for moving? 500 lbs is quite a load!

Gooserider

Loved the $23,000.00 price tag. I actually own a Rock Island wood burning cookstove (nonfunctioning) that I picked up for $15.00 at a farm sale. Wife used it for a microwave stand and cook book storage at the old place. No room at the new place. Took it to a guy that rebulds and sells these things. Thought he might be interested in buying it...........He wasn't. According to him, Rock Island wasn't what you would call top of the line. More like the Black & Decker of it's day. Had a tendancy to crack around the hinges and what not. Still got ours in the garage. Thinking about taking to the salvage dealer and selling it for scrap. Right now I'd be will to take $23 for it.

Gooserider said:
elkimmeg said:
3 years old

Hmmm Seems to be older than that - I wrote to the guy selling it, and he said "This was a very expenseive stove so if law dictates it to be "EPA ll approved" Im sure it is, I do not have model # only the model name Heritage, the flue is rear but I believe it is convertable to top flue, The owner of my home bought the stove a couple of years before I bought the house in 2001, I only used it one season in 2001, from ground to top of pipe is approx. 22", it is a 6" flue. Thanx."

I've written back asking him if he can read the label off the back of the stove, that should give exact vintage, and at least some specs...

So the dimensions would be right, and it's pretty, but at least 1999 or earlier - would that still be EPA II ? compliant? I figure no sense in just swapping one smoke dragon for another....
It is hard to tell what condition it's in, given that the guy only has one picture - it looks nice, but that could be just cosmetics - how fragile are Hearthstones in terms of stuff like over firing and the like?

Gooserider

Looking at the picture on the auction, vs. the pictures I've seen on the website and here on the forums, I'm wondering if this isn't one of the older models, possibly Pre-EPA or EPA stage one - The new model Heritages that I've seen pictures of all look like the door fills almost the entire width of the stove front - perhaps one or two inches on each side. You can barely see the soapstone between the door frame and the metal corner bits.

On the E-bay stove (which is now up to $305, reserve still not met) there is a BIG space between the door frame and the corner, looks like 3-4" on each side.

I specifically asked the seller about the label on the back of the stove, and he said that all it told him was that it was a Woodstock, but didn't give model # or whether the stove was EPA II or not. The pix I've seen of labels from EPA II stoves (including the one in the current Hearthstone Heritage manual) SAY specifically that they are EPA II, and give the model number.... This is starting to set off my paranoia alarm, and make me wonder if the seller is either a total dummy, or is trying to pull a fast one and sell a stove thats far older than he claims it is.

I don't remember the exact thread, but I recall discussion a few months back that there were at least a couple of Hearthstone Heritage models, and that the earlier ones are far less desirable, and have the identifying sign of a smaller door than the new (good) models...

I've tried to grab a couple of photos, one from the E-bay guy, and one from the Hearthstone website, for comparison... Can any of the Hearthstone experts tell me just what the Ebay-hearthstone picture is, and if it is actually a desirable EPA II stove? (the Ebay stove is on the left, the new stove on the right)

I'm also going to look for that old thread....

Gooserider

Attachments

• ebay-hearthstone-heritage.JPG
    ebay-hearthstone-heritage.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 414
  • New-Hearthstone-heritage.jpg
    New-Hearthstone-heritage.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 409
Goose,

I'm about 98% sure that's a hearthstone II. That would be pre- phase II, has some provisions for secondary air, but certainly not a clean burner by modern standards. Have him snap you a picture of the inside of the stove. That will be the easiest way to make sure I'm correct.

Corie said:
Goose,

I'm about 98% sure that's a hearthstone II. That would be pre- phase II, has some provisions for secondary air, but certainly not a clean burner by modern standards. Have him snap you a picture of the inside of the stove. That will be the easiest way to make sure I'm correct.

Thanks Corie, I appreciate your help - I think you were the one that made the earlier thread that got me nervous about just what vintage this stove was.

I have asked the seller to send me an interior shot - I won't be terribly surprised if he doesn't...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
I have asked the seller to send me an interior shot - I won't be terribly surprised if he doesn't...

Gooserider

I agree. The seller doesn't seem to be interested in answering questions. He made some statement about being "swamped" with questions or something of that nature... like it's becoming a huge hassle for him. Might be worth it to just let this one go.

And on another note, a general complaint I have about Ebay... why even have a reserve price? List the item for how much you'd take at the bottom end of the scale. It's useless to list your cherry '57 chev for $1.00. I wish Ebay would change that ridiculous reserve price rule.

-Kevin

wrenchmonster said:
Gooserider said:

Gooserider

I agree. The seller doesn't seem to be interested in answering questions. He made some statement about being "swamped" with questions or something of that nature... like it's becoming a huge hassle for him. Might be worth it to just let this one go.

And on another note, a general complaint I have about Ebay... why even have a reserve price? List the item for how much you'd take at the bottom end of the scale. It's useless to list your cherry '57 chev for $1.00. I wish Ebay would change that ridiculous reserve price rule.

-Kevin

Well, I got a reply, sort of...
ok. First, it is not SIGNIFICANTLY different, it is the same model only older, I will send pic of interior the best I can. Thanx

Needless to point out that if it is a Hearthstone II as Corie seems to think it is, then there is a BIG difference, like whether it's EPAII or a smoke dragon... I can see getting the stove if it's EPA II and the price is right (so far it is, but usually these things seem to stay OK until the last 10 minutes.......) but see absolutely no point in paying to get another smoke dragon - the one I have may not be as pretty, but it still works. It might be worth the upgrade if it was a freecycle special, but not for $305 (current bid) and a 6 hour drive.

Gooserider

About the guy with the smile. You would be smilling to if you cut through the side of a 500# propane tank and lived to talk about it! Much less try and sell it!! Ha

Bob512 said:
About the guy with the smile. You would be smilling to if you cut through the side of a 500# propane tank and lived to talk about it! Much less try and sell it!! Ha

I don't see cutting into the tank as that big a deal, as long as one uses a bit of brains about how one did it. If I needed to cut into a tank (and I've seen various interesting things made out of old 20# tanks) I'd start by making sure the tank was empty, and then removing all the valves etc. and running a hunk of line into the tank that was hooked up to an air compressor and flushing it out for a few hours. If I was feeling real paranoid, I might do like one does when working on a gas tank, and filling it with water except for the part I was working on.

The techniques for working on tanks and pressure vessels are not a big secret, or particularly difficult. I wouldn't consider the stove in question to be a great example of how to do it, but the idea isn't that bad. I could see using one of those tanks to make a great out door fireplace or smoker for instance. It is a nice way to recycle a tank, and the tank gives a nice pre-shaped "foundation" to build your project around. I'd certainly hate to try to reproduce something the size and shape of one of those tanks with typical small shop equipment.

Gooserider

Gooz

Any update on the photos? I've been searching and searching, and the only pictures I can find of the last generation Heritage have the ashpan door on the front, not on the side like the model in the auction.

Corie said:
Gooz

Any update on the photos? I've been searching and searching, and the only pictures I can find of the last generation Heritage have the ashpan door on the front, not on the side like the model in the auction.

Nope, he said he was going to send something, but so far I haven't gotten it....

Gooserider

Thanks Kevin - that was helpful, although it probably wouldn't make a big difference - the auction just ended at $962 - IMHO someone just got suckered, glad it wasn't me! With my budget, it wouldn't have happened even if the stove had been a recent model, as I couldn't have gone that high.

The seller never did send me an interior shot, so the interior shots on the auction you pointed at didn't do me any good, but the exterior shots were pretty darn conclusive - the only difference between the stoves was that the one in the auction I was looking at wasn't quite as cherry looking, and didn't have a divided pane in the door. However it did have the same wide space around the door frame, and otherwise looked the same.

The auction you are pointing at appears to be run by a more legitimate seller, who gives a definite date and model on the stove, which I believe - That my seller claimed to not even have that much info, makes me even wonder if his stove was far older - how old is Hearthstone, and what kind of labeling did they put on their earliest stoves?

As far as I'm concerned that clinched it for me - the stove in question had to be a Hearthstone II or possibly older, and another pre-epa smoke dragon, albeit a pretty one.

Anyone know what the rules are on snarfing photos off of E-bay auctions for non-auction related purposes? I'm thinking this might be worth trying to snag in order to put in the WIKI, but I don't want to exceed "fair use"

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.