Check this creativity out! Log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Wow, the beam looks a little undersized

I keep looking at log splitters and thinking to myself that I really ought to buckle down and try to make my own. Guess I should visit the local scrap yard and junk yard for an old trailer and a nice straight I-Beam.

Mayhem you really dont need a old trailer. There are a few solutions ro get the wheels under it. You can buy stub axles and weld them onto a suitable piece of tubing. Anither is to get the rear axle from a front wheel drive car. Some are better suited than others so it helps top be able to take a look under a few junkers ;) Some will have independent real suspensions so thats no good but some have pretty decent setups. A good junk man can have one off the car in a couple minutes, wheels/tires and all. Usually pretty "reasonable"

I built one years ago, (ended up selling it) finding a good I beam is the tough part

Try I-Beams-R-Us...

I have a very long-time friend down on the central coast of California who has owned an auto repair shop specializing in German cars since about 1968 or so. He burns an indoor wood furnace (yes it gets downright chilly there in wintertime). I understand he has a splitter he built that's run by an engine out of a VW. I haven't seen it, but I'll have to get hold of him and have him send me a pic. Rick

ANeat said:
finding a good I beam is the tough part

This is very true.i'll post some pics tomorrow night of the splitter I'm building with my brother in-law(the welder). its sweet!!!

mayhem said:
I keep looking at log splitters and thinking to myself that I really ought to buckle down and try to make my own. Guess I should visit the local scrap yard and junk yard for an old trailer and a nice straight I-Beam.
If you enjoy scrounging, and building things, go for it. If you, like many of us, are limited in time and just want to split wood efficiently, watch the Tractor Supply sales, buy one ready to split and spend the time on something that you really enjoy. Been there, done that. Be safe.
Ed

Go with a H-beam. After many rebuilds, never under estimate the power of hydraulics. Go big, with lots of gussets.

KC

Status
Not open for further replies.