Check this fresh air kit install job

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seattlemike

Dec 7, 2008
WA
This is how my installer left this (picture attached). I'm gonna guess that the intake hose should actually be connected.
I've got other issues with this installer (leaky vent pipes, crappy looking finish work). I'm just wondering what other people think about this - should it be so hard to get this thing installed properly?

Attachments

• DSC03225.JPG
    DSC03225.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 939
If the idea is to have cold air spilling into your house, this is a great setup!

What's up with that homemade flange?

Probably had it taped on but when the stove heated up the glue on the tape soften and slipped off. On mine the OAK just sit inside the flange, Call him back or tape metal tape or use a hose clamp!

I'm sure you paid a premium for that install! Was he wearing big fat clumsy oven gloves when he hooked it up?

Looks like your installer is quite an assclown.
I'd get him back there to do it right.

What an absolute shame to see but it doesn't surprise me. I would contact your state Better Business Bureau and email them the pictures and see if they can't help you get this resolved and installed properly.

My brother in law had his house worked on by a "supposed" competent and capable contractor to include vinyl siding, new doors and windows and a new roof job. It was late on a Friday and the roof was stripped but not shingled yet, so they decided to cover the roof with a large tarp until the next day as it was suppose to rain overnight. In so doing, they also covered the two chimneys as well. Needless to say the heat came on through the night (oil burner) and the exhaust had nowhere to go and you know what happened next.

The house filled with smoke and carbon monoxide gas as 4 adults slept and completely unaware of what was happening. Get this - it just so happened that my father in law who is living in the finished cellar had purchased a carbon monoxide detector 2 weeks earlier but had not installed it yet (mounted it on the wall or ceiling) BUT for whatever reason, he had opened it up and put the batteries in - just left it sitting on a cabinet. The alarm went off and woke him up which caused everyone to be evacuated from the house. Someone was looking out for them because the stupid contractor was not.

Prior to this happening, I had inspected some of the work that contractor had already done on their house and the siding was not installed correctly and they ended up installing the cheapest windows I've ever seen (the inside of the windows get a heavy layer of frost in the winter). I told them to get a good lawyer and contact the AG and BBB and get something done about this - IF IT WAS NOT FOR THE C.O. DETECTOR SITTING ON A CABINET THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN 4 DEAD ADULTS THE NEXT DAY. Unfortunately, they did nothing.

By the way, the name of the company is Patriots Home Improvement in Massachusetts. Buyer beware!

Steve

No it's not duct tape, it's actually metal tape that's spray-painted black. I think the flash makes it look like duct tape.

I'm trying to decide what to do. These guys have been out 4 times; frankly i have no confidence in their work and don't really want them back in my house....

While I haven't been able to find a leak in the vent yet, there is smoke smell when the unit fires up. One theory would be that it's coming from the fresh air kit shown. For the previous vent leaks, i was able to see the smoke (as well as smell it) with a flashlight or laser light. This time I smell it but haven't pinpointed it yet. Nothing visible comes from the fresh air kit.

Does anyone else have a Harman Accentra 2 with OAK?
The installer is now telling me that this is how it's supposed to be installed; I am not buying that unless i hear it from someone who actually seems to know what they're talking about...

I have one and its hooked into the flange. I mean come on, you don't have to be a genius to realize how it works. Do you have another Harman dealer you can talk to?

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 603
---"you don't have to be a genius to realize how it works."---

Exactly. Another Harman dealer, and probably Harman as well, will be my next step if he doesn't fix it today. He's supposed to come by.

After he tried to tell me it was supposed to be that way, and I told him that didn't add up, he came over and hooked it up.
I think the install is finally set. At least I hope so - I'm tired of listening to myself give this guy grief of the job he did :)

Status
Not open for further replies.