Check THIS out... Electrically powered WATER burning stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Wilson

Nov 19, 2005
Orient Point, NY
Yep, someone finally took that old elementary school science project of using electrolysis to split water into hydrogen and oxygen, and put it into a stove. Apparently all you have to do is supply a 220 volt line and 1/2 a gallon of water per hour, and you can stay warm. Of course, you will be able to stay even warmer by simply burning all the paper in your new and improved electric bill, which will probably weigh in at around 8 pounds per month. No mention of how many amps the thing draws.

Take a look:
Aqueon Fireplace

Oh yeah, and did I mention the thing costs FOURTY NINE THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS??? Yeah, that's $49,900.00, as in, 21 of my Jotul Kennebecs, or about 58 Moreso 1410s, or , well, 285 cords of wood, which at 3.5 cord per year, would last you 24 years. Sounds like a bargain! I'm selling my Audi and buying one!

-- Mike

If you buy one the people come from the factory to install it. It's still a good idea and a step in the right direction. Now if they could just get the thing to kick the 220 habit and then they'd really have something.

I think HNI is doing something more in the alternative energy sector should be doing, innovating. I don't think they plan on selling many of these, but it definately brought people to their tent and stopped them in their tracks last year in Atlanta. It is like some of the crazy protoype cars the manufacturers bring out every year, they won't make money on them, but some of the features find their way into future models. I, for one, will definately find the time to go through their tent next month to see what they came up with this year.

if you look at their add it requires a 220 volt 60 amp line. a 60 amp line by national electrical code can support a 48 amp load. if this is drawing 48 amps at 220 than it is drawing 10560 watts. that 10560 watts could heat 1000 square foot house with electric baseboard heat.

but it also makes me think that it could make you feel real high with all that extra oxygen being pumped into the house. A LEGAL HIGH. hmmmmm :)

You have an Audi that's worth 50 grand used? :bug:

dylan that's if it's running full bore no thermostat.

Actually, it may not be as inefficient as you would think at first glance. The old 2 H2O -> 2 H2 + O2 via electrolysis is not the most efficient conversion, but the waste energy comes off as heat...just what you want anyway. Plus if the hydrogen flame is burned indoors in a ventless configuration, then 100% of that energy is put back into the house. All your water is coming back as vapor, too, so you can unplug the humidifier. I'm sure the circuit breakers are sized for maximum output, but just like any other heater, it probably won't need to run at 100% all the time.

Corey

PS - Is that picture supposed to be the actual appliance? (the box with the flame on top?)

For $50,000 I'll replace all my doors and windows, reinsulate the walls and heat the house with a candle.

Then your house would look like your avatar picture, mike!

Joshua

Status
Not open for further replies.