Check this out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HUH! You can never implement too many control measures when cutting around a house or wires. That's why real live arborists make the big bucks.

A pronounced lean toward the house and he thought he could do it. Unbelievable.

WANDERING NAMELESSLEE said:
Wedges seam pretty cheap right about now!!!!!!!! :lol:

Or a D-9 Caterpillar.

What a great wife, her stupid husband knocks down the 1/2 the house and she says "WE just took out 1/2 the house". Most wives (OK husbands too) would of said, "the stupid &^%$#*&^% just took down 1/2 the house!!" :)

In all seriousness - would cutting a better wedge out of the front (direction they wanted it to fall) have helped there? Can't see what they did cut from the video, but I wonder if they had a decent (or any) hinge cut into that. Perhaps it was just too much lean back over the house though... I can tell you that any tree of that size that close to a house seems foolish to be taken on by folks who don't _really_ know what they are doing.

In the video, as the tree separates from the stump, you can see that there was no hinge. Also, a tree that close to the house should have been roped so even if it starts to go the wrong way, the rope will restrain it from going that way. If he had wedged it and cut properly from the other side, the tree would have pinched his saw if it leaned toward the house and he would have been forced to stop.

A hard lesson learned and damage to the porch was a small price to pay when compared to either life, or if the tree had fallen into the middle of the house. I hope he had insurance.

I don't think the face cut alone, would have changed the direction of the fall. That thing needed to be directed in some manner (wedges, winch, rope, D9 Cat, etc.)

I don't know how the heck it didn't pinch the saw before dumbass got as far as he did.

nsfd95 said:
http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&vid=b14d7a37-577a-498c-9345-86f516011832 I not sure if this video has been on this sight, still trying to figure out if it real or not. Let me know what you think

Let's get something straight before I comment: I have done many stupid things in my life.

Now that we have that out in the open, this video is is leaps and bounds dumber than anything I have even done.

seen this before how about a wedge please!

Quite certain that lean was far too much to over come . The back cut was not all the way around, for he was plunge cutting!! Must be the only reason it didn`t pinch! Bad camera angle too know,,but I think he was using the lean and trying to get the tree to roll or twist into the face cut, and fall just in front of the house. Too much lean causing it to barber chair before the back cut could even have a chance.

ml said:
Quite certain that lean was far too much to over come . The back cut was not all the way around, for he was plunge cutting!! Must be the only reason it didn`t pinch! Bad camera angle too know,,but I think he was using the lean and trying to get the tree to roll or twist into the face cut, and fall just in front of the house. Too much lean causing it to barber chair before the back cut could even have a chance.
boy by looking at the video i dont think it goes that deep for this guy!

I just think he wanted to redo his porch!

ilikewood said:
I just think he wanted to redo his porch!

If that`s the case,,,hes a lot more skilled than were`re giving him credit for! Maybe they just foreclosed on the property :coolgrin:

smokinj said:
ml said:

Yeah from that angle,,looks pretty shallow,,but then I think he could drown at the drinking fountain! I think him and the Better Half just surrendered to cabin fever,,,"Come-on Baby, Watch this"

By the way smokinj,,,How you like the Hot Blast?

ml said:
smokinj said:
ml said:

Yeah from that angle,,looks pretty shallow,,but then I think he could drown at the drinking fountain! I think him and the Better Half just surrendered to cabin fever,,,"Come-on Baby, Watch this"

By the way smokinj,,,How you like the Hot Blast?
uses alot of wood but lucky for me thats a byproduct of running a chainsaw.lol

His ex-wife got the house? Ex-wife kept bitching about the dead tree in the yard? Him and the new girlfriend came over to cut it down for her?

It sure looks like a setup job. The reason I say that is because the woman holding the camera who I assume to be the wife. She's calm and collected. Every woman I know who's house just got smushed would be cussing and going nuts.

Sure looks like a "hold my beer and watch this" kind of moment.

As for the wife and setup theory, I don't think so. Revenge is a dish, best served cold and what she has on film, she will dish out later. That dumb ass is going to have that thrown in his face for the rest of his miserable life. Sure beats going ballistic in the heat of the moment.

I would enjoy seeing ty pennington use this same "demolition" technique on Extreme Makeover. good times

Now that I have read all the comments, I now realize that the wife was pretty calm. I sure as hell know that my wife would not have taken it so well. Thanks for all the comments suns coming out and I got to fire up the splitter until dinner..

An amateur doing a professional's job. If he made that mistake out on his woodlot, he'd just have to carry his wood a bit farther than planned. Next to a cottage/home, he should have been running the camera, watching an insured professional drop this tree, which would have been guided by wedges and/or cables.

I wonder what his insurance agent said.... Self inflicted wound?

Status
Not open for further replies.